289 AC was marked by the Greyjoy Rebellion, where Lord Balon Greyjoy wrongly believed that the lords of the Seven Kingdoms were not as loyal to King Robert Baratheon as they had to the previous Targaryen monarchs. Balon thus proclaimed independence for the Iron Islands and crowned himself King. King Robert Baratheon, with the help of, amongst others, his friend Lord Eddard Stark, defeated Balon, crushing the short-lived rebellion effectively.
- Greyjoy Rebellion
- Theon Greyjoy, Balon Greyjoy's last living son after the Rebellion, becomes Eddard Stark's ward to ensure Balon's loyalty to the crown.
- Jacelyn Bywater loses a hand during the fighting in the Rebellion.
- Jacelyn Bywater and Jorah Mormont are knighted for their valor during the Rebellion.
- Jorah Mormont weds Lynesse Hightower.
- A tourney at Lannisport is held, to celebrate Robert Baratheon's victory over the Greyjoys.
- Ser Willem Darry falls sick in Braavos when Daenerys Targaryen is five years old. This occurred either in 289 AC, or in 290 AC
- Arya Stark, daughter of Eddard Stark and Catelyn Tully.
- Beren Tallhart, son of Leobald Tallhart and Berena Hornwood.
- Bradamar Frey, son of Symond Frey and Betharios of Braavos. 
- Shireen Baratheon, daughter of Stannis Baratheon and Selyse Florent.
- Waltyr Frey, son of Walder Frey and Annara Farring. There are rumours that Black Walder Frey is Waltyr's biological father.
- Rodrik Greyjoy, slain at Seagard during Greyjoy's Rebellion.
- Maron Greyjoy, died on Pyke during Greyjoy's Rebellion.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 4, Eddard I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 12, Daenerys I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 11, Theon I.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Daenerys Targaryen.
- See the calculation for: Arya Stark
- See the calculation for: Beren Tallhart
- See the calculation for: Bradamar Frey
- See the calculation for: Shireen Baratheon
- See the calculation for: Waltyr Frey
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.