A moratorium is in effect on adding information from Fire and Blood until December 20th.
A Clash of Kings-Chapter 57
|A Clash of Kings chapter|
|Page||593 UK HC (Other versions)|
|Chapter chronology (All)|
Joffrey obliged her to see him off before. He made her kiss his sword promising that he would kill Stannis with it. Sansa hopes that Joffrey will fight himself and get himself killed. She told him that her brother Robb was always in the thick of the fight. Joffrey replied that he will kill Robb as well.
In the sept the people are singing. Sansa sings with them until they start praying for the victory of Joffrey. Silently Sansa prays for his defeat and goes away. As she leaves for Maegor's Holdfast she can hear the sound of battle.
Within the holdfast Sansa enters the Queen's Ballroom, where there is almost every highborn woman in the city, along with a handful of old men and young boys. Sansa notices Ilyn Payne. She asks Cersei why Ser Ilyn has come. Cersei explains why they need him:
- -"When the axes smash down those doors, you may be glad of him."
- -"Won't your guards protect us?"
- -And who will protect us from my guards? The queen gave Osfryd a sideways look. "Loyal sellswords are rare as virgin whores. If the battle is lost my guards will trip on those crimson cloaks in their haste to rip them off. They'll steal what they can and flee, along with the serving men, washer women, and stableboys, all out to save their own worthless hides. Do you have any notion what happens when a city is sacked, Sansa? No, you wouldn't, would you? All you know of life you learned from singers, and there's such a dearth of good sacking songs."
- -True knights would never harm women and children. The words rang hollow in her ears even as she said them.
- -True knights. The queen seemed to find that wonderfully amusing. "No doubt you're right. So why don't you just eat your broth like a good girl and wait for Symeon Star-Eyes and Prince Aemon the Dragonknight to come rescue you, sweetling. I'm sure it won't be very long now."