Brienne of Tarth/Theories
|Theories may be removed if ...|
Brienne of Tarth potentially has a claim (albeit distant) to the Iron Throne of the Targaryen dynasty.
According to Maester Yandel, House Tarth is "[...] an old family of Andal descent that boasts of ties to the Durrandons, the Baratheons, and more recently to House Targaryen." Although it is unclear whether the statement means that a female Targaryen married into House Tarth—the option most often assumed by readers—or that a Tarth was married to a male Targaryen, the former situation would leave the Tarths with a drop of Targaryen blood of their own.
Due to the use of the word "recently", readers of A Song of Ice and Fire believe the ties between Houses Tarth and Targaryen date back to the past century. The Targaryen family tree as is currently known only displays a few Targaryens who lived during that time period and whose partners or descendants are unaccounted for. Targaryens suggested are:
- The two sisters of King Aegon V, Princesses Daella and Rhae, who are known to have been married but whose husbands have not been mentioned nor described.
- Any descendant of Daella or Rhae. Both princesses are known to have had children of their own.
- Princess Vaella, the only daughter of Prince Daeron and Kiera of Tyrosh.
- The potential children of Duncan, King Aegon V's eldest son. Although Duncan is known to have been married to Jenny of Oldstones, it is unknown whether or not they had children.
- Prince Maegor, the only son of Prince Aerion and Princess Daenora, or any children they might have had.
In case of a female Targaryen marrying into House Tarth, Brienne and her father Selwyn could potentially have a claim to the Iron Throne, depending on the claim of their Targaryen ancestor.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Stormlands: The Men of the Stormlands.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 35, Samwell IV.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 The World of Ice & Fire, Appendix: Targaryen Lineage.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Maekar I.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon V.