Dice are small throwable objects with marked sides used in different games.
Dicing is a regular pastime among common people and nobles alike. It is often accompanied with drinking and gambling.
Expressions such as "rolling the dice", "tossing the dice" and "throwing the dice" designate someone making a risky attempt to do or achieve something.
A Game of Thrones
During his stay at the Wall, Tyrion Lannister spends his evening drinking and dicing with the high officers of the Night's Watch.
Tyrion wins a shadowskin cloak playing dice against the singer Marillion.
Arya Stark sees two guardsmen dicing while a third walked rounds around the Wind Witch preventing her to board the ship to escape King's Landing.
A Clash of Kings
Wex Pyke is a good dice player and wins good money to the astonishment of Theon Greyjoy.
Members of Rattleshirt's band play dice against each other to win the gear of the dead Qhorin Halfhand.
A Feast for Crows
Lord Randyll Tarly, who is dispensing justice in Maidenpool in place of Lord William Mooton, hears a sailor and one of Lord Mooton's bowman after a dice game turned sour. He judges the bowman guilty of cheating using a loaded dice. He condemns him to lose a little finger and to be stabbed in the palm of his hand with a nail.
A Dance with Dragons
Sellswords of the Windblown love to play dice against Archibald Yronwood as he is a poor player betting fearlessly but without great results.
According to Big Walder, his late cousin Little Walder owed silver coins to a White Harbor knight from a game of dice and implies Manderly men have killed him for it.
The Winds of Winter
|| Warning |
This information has thus far been released in a sample chapter for The Winds of Winter, and might therefore not be in finalized form. Keep in mind that the content as described below is still subject to change.
Young John Mudd is a good dice player.
Euron Greyjoy lets his men trow dice over which ships will bind holy men to their prows before the battle against the Redwyne fleet.
Known dice players
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 19, Jon III.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 26, Jon IV.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 10, Davos I.
- ↑ The Winds of Winter, Arianne I
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 38, Tyrion V.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 42, Tyrion VI.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 59, Catelyn IX.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 34, Catelyn VI.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 65, Arya V.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 24, Theon II.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 68, Jon VIII.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 14, Brienne III.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3 13.4 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 25, The Windblown.
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 51, Theon I.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 The Winds of Winter, Arianne II
- ↑ The Winds of Winter, The Forsaken
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 39, Catelyn V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 78, Samwell V.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 31, Catelyn III.
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 46, A Ghost in Winterfell.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 66, Theon VI.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 25, Tyrion VI.