Edric Storm by Amok©
|Born||In 287 AC|
|Book(s)|| A Game of Thrones (mentioned)|
A Clash of Kings (mentioned)
A Storm of Swords (appears)
A Feast for Crows (appendix)
A Dance with Dragons (mentioned)
Appearance and Character
- See also: Images of Edric Storm
Edric is a sturdily attractive youth, with jet-black hair and deep blue eyes. He resembles his father, King Robert I, and has the characteristic hair, eyes, jaw, and cheekbones of House Baratheon. Edric also has the large ears common to House Florent.
Edric was conceived by King Robert I Baratheon and Delena on the wedding night of Lord Stannis Baratheon to Selyse Florent, Delena's cousin, in the couple's wedding bed. Stannis saw this as an insult to his honor, so he sent Edric to Storm's End to foster with the boy's other uncle, Renly Baratheon. As Delena was a noblewoman, Edric was acknowledged by his father. He was raised in relative comfort at Storm's End under the guardianship of Ser Cortnay Penrose, Renly's castellan, who is fond of the boy. Edric was educated by maesters, castellans, and masters-at-arms.
Edric has been sent a gift from his father every year on his name day. These have included a pony, a sable cloak, and a child-sized warhammer similar to his father's weapon. Edric would write to King's Landing to thank his father for the gifts, but upon receiving the letters Robert would laugh and ask Varys what he had sent that year.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
During the siege of Storm's End after the death of Renly Baratheon, Stannis offers to let the garrison go free if Edric is surrendered. Renly's castellan, Ser Cortnay Penrose, resists in fear of what Stannis would do to Edric, however. After Cortnay falls to his death, Stannis takes the castle and ships Edric and Melisandre to Dragonstone.
A Storm of Swords
Edric spends time at Dragonstone with Stannis's daughter, Princess Shireen Baratheon, and her fool, Patchface. Maester Pylos leeches Edric when the boy comes down with a chill. Edric remains faithful to the Faith of the Seven instead of converting to the worship of R'hllor.
Melisandre pressures Stannis to burn Edric, as she believes that sacrificing his royal blood would wake dragons from stone to help Stannis. Conversely, Ser Davos Seaworth pressures Stannis to spare him. Edric is leeched and his blood is used in a ritual to curse the three rival kings, Joffrey Baratheon, Balon Greyjoy, and Robb Stark. Subsequently, Balon falls at Pyke, Robb is killed in the Red Wedding, and Joffrey is poisoned at his royal wedding.
Concerned that Stannis will burn Edric, Davos, with the help of Pylos and a small group of king's men, has Edric secretly shipped away to the Free Cities aboard the Mad Prendos. The boy wants to give his farewalls to Shireen and Stannis, but Davos, speaking as the Hand of the King, insists there is no time. Davos appoints Andrew Estermont, Edric's cousin, to act as his guardian. Gerald Gower, Triston of Tally Hill, Lewys the Fishwife, and Omer Blackberry also accompany Edric as his guards and protectors. Davos defends his actions to a tired Stannis and a disappointed Melisandre, and the king sails north to aid the Night's Watch.
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
Quotes by Edric
- Edric to Pylos
- Andrew Estermont and Edric
Andrew: I shall go with you, Cousin. There's nothing to be frightened of.
Edric: I am not frightened.
- Davos Seaworth and Edric
Quotes about Edric
- Stannis Baratheon to Davos Seaworth
– Stannis Baratheon to Davos Seaworth
– Stannis Baratheon to Davos Seaworth
– Melisandre to Stannis Baratheon
– Davos Seaworth and Stannis Baratheon
Davos: His name is Edric Storm, sire.
Stannis: I know his name. Was there ever a name so apt? It proclaims his bastardy, his high birth, and the turmoil he brings with him. Edric Storm. There, I have said it. Are you satisfied, my lord Hand?Stannis: —is one boy! He may be the best boy who ever drew breath and it would not matter. My duty is to the realm.
– Davos Seaworth's thoughts
- Davos Seaworth to Stannis Baratheon and Melisandre
Davos: I am speaking of a boy, your daughter's friend, your brother's son.
Melisandre: A king's son, with the power of kingsblood in his veins. Do you think you've saved this boy, Onion Knight? When the long night falls, Edric Storm shall die with the rest, wherever he is hidden. Your own sons as well. Darkness and cold will cover the earth. You meddle in matters you do not understand.
Paternal (Baratheon) tree
Maternal (Florent) tree
- ↑ See the Edric Storm calculation.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 10, Davos II.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 10, Davos I.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 54, Davos V.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 36, Davos IV.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 35, Eddard IX.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 30, Eddard VII.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 45, Catelyn VI.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 44, Tyrion X.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 58, Davos III.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 11.5 11.6 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 63, Davos VI.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 51, Catelyn VII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 60, Tyrion VIII.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 73, Jon X.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 15, Davos II.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Margaery Tyrell married 1st Renly, 2nd Joffrey, 3rd Tommen