Fair Isle is an island in the Sunset Sea, separated from the rest of the westerlands by the Straits of Fair Isle. The island is controlled by House Farman, whose seat Faircastle sits on it. The Crag is northeast of Fair Isle, while a peninsula containing Kayce and Feastfires is south of the island. Fair Isle has inland hills and a dockside district.
At some point Gylbert Farman successfully led the smallfolk of Fair Isle in rebellion against the ironborn. Erich V Harlaw, High King of the Iron Islands, eventually reconquered Fair Isle, but lost it when he grew old.
Princess Rhaena Targaryen sought refuge from King Maegor I Targaryen with Lord Marq Farman, but she eventually returned to the crownlands to wed the king. Rhaena returned to Fair Isle after the coronation of her brother, King Jaehaerys I Targaryen. Rhaena wed Marq's son, Androw Farman, in a small ceremony in 49 AC. Elissa Farman, Androw's sister and a close friend of Rhaena, had sailed around Fair Isle when she was fourteen. Once lord, Ser Franklyn Farman forced Rhaena and her companions to leave his island.
Rhaena returned to Fair Isle during her search for the missing Aerea Targaryen. Because of Franklyn's poor treatment of Rhaena, King Jaehaerys I Targaryen did not visit Fair Isle during his royal progress to the westerlands in 55 AC. The king eventually visited the island in 88 AC, after Lord Franklyn had died.
The Red Kraken
Dalton Greyjoy, Lord of the Iron Islands, captured Fair Isle during the Dance of the Dragons. Lady Johanna Lannister began construction of a fleet to retake the isle, but Dalton burned them in her shipyards. After a victory at Kayce, Johanna sent Lord Prester, Lord Tarbeck, and Ser Erwin Lannister with a host to Fair Isle, but Dalton killed them after the westermen's fleet was ambushed by longships.
Following Lord Alyn's attack during the Daughters' War, Lord Unwin Peake ordered Lord Alyn Velaryon to sail west and retake Fair Isle. Dalton gathered hundreds of longships to Fair Isle and western ports in anticipation of Alyn Oakenfist's fleet. After the Red Kraken was murdered by Tess at Faircastle, the ironborn fleet collapsed and returned to the Iron Islands. Fair Isle's smallfolk and remaining knights rose in rebellion, slaying the remaining ironborn.
During the reign of Aerys I Targaryen, the ironborn raided Fair Isle, making off with half its worth. Ser Duncan the Tall and his squire, Prince Aegon Targaryen, considered aiding Lord Farman against Lord Dagon Greyjoy.
A Dance with Dragons
Duncan: Have you ever been to Fair Isle?
Aegon: No, ser, but they say it's fair.
—thoughts of Asha Greyjoy
- The Lands of Ice and Fire, Westeros.
- Fire & Blood, A Surfeit of Rulers.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Westerlands.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: Driftwood Crowns.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Maegor I.
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- Fire & Blood, Prince Into King - The Ascension of Jaehaerys I.
- Fire & Blood, The Year of the Three Brides - 49 AC.
- Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.
- Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon III.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Hooded Hand.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Voyage of Alyn Oakenfist.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: Red Kraken.
- The Sworn Sword.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 1, The Prophet.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 26, The Wayward Bride.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 35, Jon VII.