The Fingers are narrow peninsulas of the northeastern Vale of Arryn which extend into the narrow sea and the Shivering Sea.
The Fingers are windswept, treeless, bare and stony. It often rains in the region, which is located north of the Vale proper. The seat of House Baelish, an unnamed old flint tower, sits on the smallest of the Fingers.
Rivers from deep within the Mountains of the Moon flow east to the Fingers, with Coldwater Burn located along on one river. Snakewood and Heart's Home are situated on the southern shore of the Fingers.
Pebble and the Paps are islands located north and northeast of the Fingers, respectively.
First Men and Andals
Thousands of years ago, the Vale was inhabited by petty kings of the First Men. Two such monarchs, Dywen Shell and Jon Brightstone, each claimed to be King of the Fingers. They invited Andals to cross the narrow sea to aid them against their rivals, so the Fingers were where Andals first arrived when they invaded Westeros. They chiseled the seven-pointed star of the Faith of the Seven onto boulders to mark where they landed. Dywen and Jon both were slain when Andals turned against them. Taking Jon's daughter as his wife and Dywen's wife as his bedwarmer, the Andal Corwyn Corbray proclaimed himself Lord of the Five Fingers.
Robar II Royce, a Bronze King, was elevated by the First Men to High King of the Vale, the Fingers, and the Mountains of the Moon, and Robar slew Qyle Corbray, King of the Fingers. Robar eventually fell to Artys I Arryn in the Battle of the Seven Stars.
Kings of Mountain and Vale
The Kings of Mountain and Vale from House Arryn constructed numerous watchtowers with beacons to defend the Fingers from raiders.
King Theon Stark, the Hungry Wolf, once landed an army on the Fingers, but the Kings of Winter were not able to hold onto the conquest. During the War Across the Water, the Starks landed on the Fingers three times.
During her search for the missing Aerea Targaryen, Rhaena Targaryen and her dragon, Dreamfyre, were seen flying over the Fingers.
Prince Jacaerys Velaryon flew Vermax above the Fingers to Sisterton during the Dance of the Dragons. When the Vale of Arryn broke out into civil war after the passing of Lady Jeyne Arryn, the lords of the Fingers supported Ser Arnold Arryn.
After Petyr Baelish was wounded in a duel with Brandon Stark at Riverrun, Lord Hoster Tully sent Petyr to heal at the Fingers once he was strong enough to move.
At the start of Robert's Rebellion, Lord Eddard Stark crossed the Mountains of the Moon and found a fisherman on the Fingers to sail him across the Bite.
A Game of Thrones
Two peasant boys from the Fingers, accused of rape, are among Yoren's band of recruits for the Night's Watch. Hedge knights from the Fingers participate in the Hand's tourney.
A Clash of Kings
Ser Davos Seaworth is sent by King Stannis Baratheon with a chest of letters to spread word of King Joffrey I Baratheon's illegitimacy. His route is to sail to the Fingers and other harbors along the narrow sea.
A Storm of Swords
Varys reports to the small council that a kraken was seen off the Fingers pulling under an Ibbenense whaler.
Lord Petyr Baelish and Sansa Stark sail aboard the Merling King from King's Landing to his family's tower in the Fingers, where Petyr weds the widowed Lady Lysa Arryn.
A Dance with Dragons
Tyrion Lannister recalls he once heard of a dwarf maester who served on the Fingers.
The Fingers are a lovely place, if you happen to be a stone.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Map of the South
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 68, Sansa VI.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 18, Catelyn IV.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Lands of Ice and Fire, Westeros.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: The Arrival of the Andals.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The North: The Kings of Winter.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - A Son for a Son.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 40, Catelyn VII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 13, Tyrion II.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 29, Sansa II.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 10, Davos I.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 19, Tyrion III.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 33, Tyrion VIII.