The Fingers are windswept, treeless, bare and stony. It often rains in the region, which is located north of the Vale proper. The seat of House Baelish, an unnamed old flint tower, sits on the smallest of the Fingers.
Rivers from deep within the Mountains of the Moon flow east to the Fingers, with Coldwater Burn located along on one river. Snakewood and Heart's Home are situated on the southern shore of the Fingers.
First Men and Andals
Thousands of years ago, the Vale was inhabited by petty kings of the First Men. Two such monarchs, Dywen Shell and Jon Brightstone, each claimed to be King of the Fingers. They invited Andals to cross the narrow sea to aid them against their rivals, so the Fingers were where Andals first arrived when they invaded Westeros. They chiseled the seven-pointed star of the Faith of the Seven onto boulders to mark where they landed. Dywen and Jon both were slain when Andals turned against them. Taking Jon's daughter as his wife and Dywen's wife as his bedwarmer, the Andal Corwyn Corbray proclaimed himself Lord of the Five Fingers.
Robar II Royce, a Bronze King, was elevated by the First Men to High King of the Vale, the Fingers, and the Mountains of the Moon, and Robar slew Qyle Corbray, King of the Fingers. Robar eventually fell to Artys I Arryn in the Battle of the Seven Stars.
Kings of Mountain and Vale
King Theon Stark, the Hungry Wolf, once landed an army on the Fingers, but the Kings of Winter were not able to hold onto the conquest. During the War Across the Water, the Starks landed on the Fingers three times.
Prince Jacaerys Velaryon flew Vermax above the Fingers to Sisterton during the Dance of the Dragons. When the Vale of Arryn broke out into civil war after the passing of Lady Jeyne Arryn, the lords of the Fingers supported Ser Arnold Arryn.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
Ser Davos Seaworth is sent by King Stannis Baratheon with a chest of letters to spread word of King Joffrey I Baratheon's illegitimacy. His route is to sail to the Fingers and other harbors along the narrow sea.
A Storm of Swords
A Dance with Dragons
The Fingers are a lovely place, if you happen to be a stone.
- A Dance with Dragons, Map of the South
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 68, Sansa VI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 18, Catelyn IV.
- The Lands of Ice and Fire, Westeros.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale.
- A Song of Ice and Fire Campaign Guide
- The World of Ice & Fire, The North: The Kings of Winter.
- Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - A Son for a Son.
- Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 40, Catelyn VII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 13, Tyrion II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 29, Sansa II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 10, Davos I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 19, Tyrion III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 33, Tyrion VIII.