|Title||Lord of the Crag|
|Spouse||Lady Sybell Spicer|
As the Lord of the Crag, Gawen headed an old and proud, though impoverished, family. Gawen wed Sybell of House Spicer, a wealthy House of lowborn origins. This marriage is said to have somewhat sordid origins, and Gawen is rumored to have been entrapped into the marriage.
A Game of Thrones
At the outbreak of the War of the Five Kings, Lord Gawen rides in Ser Jaime Lannister's host besieging Riverrun. After Jaime's host is drawn away and ambushed by Lord Robb Stark, Gawen is captured by Lord Jason Mallister in the ensuring battle in the Whispering Wood.
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
Robb conquers Gawen's castle with the storming of the Crag. While still imprisoned at Seagard, Gawen's wife, Lady Sybell Spicer, and castellan, Ser Rolph Spicer, conspire with Lord Tywin Lannister to help bring about Robb Stark's downfall. Gawen is freed from Seagard after his daughter, Jeyne, marries Robb Stark, King in the North, although they wed without his consent.
A Feast for Crows
Gawen is present at the siege of Riverrun. He is with the Lannister-Frey army urging the commanders to settle the siege peacefully, as he is worried about possible retaliations against his family who are within the castle. After Jaime negotiates Riverrun's surrender, Gawen travels with his family back to the Crag.
—thoughts of Jaime Lannister
- A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Gawen Westerling.
- A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 19, Tyrion III.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Crag.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 63, Catelyn X.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 14, Catelyn II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 45, Catelyn VI.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 55, Catelyn VII.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Rolph Spicer.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 72, Jaime IX.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 33, Jaime V.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 44, Jaime VII.