The greenhouse has a glass roof of green and yellow panes locked in frames. The natural hot springs beneath Winterfell fill the glass gardens with a moist warmth and prevent the ground from freezing.
In the legend of Bael the Bard, Lord Brandon Stark asked Sygerrik of Skagos (Bael) what he wanted as a reward for his singing. The bard requested only the most beautiful flower blooming in Winterfell's gardens, so Lord Stark presented him with a winter rose. The following morning, the maiden daughter of Lord Stark had disappeared, and in her bed was the blue rose.
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
The ruins of Winterfell are covered in snow. On the broken panes of the Glass Gardens, Theon Greyjoy sees hoarfrost sparkling in the moonlight. The fruits and vegetables within are black and frozen.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 37, The Prince of Winterfell.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 6, Catelyn II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 69, Bran VII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 80, Sansa VII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 8, Bran II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 41, Jon V.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 51, Jon VI.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 22, Arya II.