Great Wyk is the largest of the islands that make up the Iron Islands. Aside from the Lonely Light, it is the westernmost of the major isles. Great Wyk is west of Old Wyk and Orkmont, north of Saltcliffe, and northeast of Pyke.
Unlike the other isles, Great Wyk is so large that some of its castles, such as Hammerhorn, are inland instead of near the Sunset Sea or Ironman's Bay. Blue-green soldier pines cover the mountains of Great Wyk.
Noble houses of Great Wyk include Houses Farwynd, Goodbrother, Merlyn, and Sparr. Humbles also live on Great Wyk.
Hammerhorn, the seat of the main line of House Goodbrother, is located in the Hardstone Hills. Other branches of the Goodbrothers on Great Wyk live at Corpse Lake, Crow Spike Keep, and Downdelving. The Merlyns reside in Pebbleton, while the Farwynds live at Sealskin Point.
Thousands of years ago, sailors from Great Wyk discovered the Lonely Light after being blown off course.
The first sept in the Iron Islands was built on Great Wyk during the reign of King Wulfgar Hoare.
Hoare Castle, the seat of House Hoare on Great Wyk, was destroyed by Ser Aubrey Crakehall after the defeat of King Hagon Hoare.
Following the death of King Harren Hoare during Aegon's Conquest, rival claimants rose on Great Wyk, Harlaw, Old Wyk, Orkmont, and Pyke. King Aegon I Targaryen ended the fighting with his invasion of the Iron Islands in 2 AC. Aegon visited Great Wyk during one of his royal progresses.
When Lodos the Twice-Drowned rose in rebellion, Goren Greyjoy, Lord of the Iron Islands, led a hundred longships to Old Wyk and Great Wyk to defeat Lodos on behalf of King Aenys I Targaryen.
After the death of Lord Dalton Greyjoy, Great Wyk supported the pretender Sam Salt, who claimed to be descended from House Hoare. Ser Leo Costayne invaded the islands on behalf of Lady Johanna Lannister, but he was slain by Arthur Goodbrother on Great Wyk.
Stannis Baratheon, Lord of Dragonstone, subdued Great Wyk on behalf of his brother, King Robert I Baratheon, during Greyjoy's Rebellion.
A Feast for Crows
Aeron Greyjoy is on Great Wyk when he learns of the death of his brother Balon Greyjoy, King of the Isles and the North.
A Dance with Dragons
After the selection of Euron Greyjoy at the kingsmoot on Old Wyk, Aeron is said to have gone into hiding on Great Wyk.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 1, The Prophet.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Map of the Iron Islands
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 19, The Drowned Man.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 20, Reek II.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: The Black Blood.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Reign of the Dragon - The Wars of King Aegon I.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: The Greyjoys of Pyke.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Three Heads Had the Dragon - Governance Under King Aegon I.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 26, The Wayward Bride.