Grumkins are mythical creatures that appear in Westerosi folktales. They are associated with granting wishes, either by crafting magical objects which make wishes come true, or by directly giving people a number of wishes, of which the third wish is the last and must be used carefully. Grumkins are implied to be of short stature or otherwise of very small size and may also steal and replace children.
Adults no longer believe in grumkins and consider them imaginary beings, comparable to legendary animals and supernatural entities or the monsters that children's nurses warn them against. As a result, several attempts to seek aid against the danger of the Others are met with mockery which ridicules the messenger as also fearing "snarks and grumkins," which the speaker implies are similarly non-existent.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 61, Sansa V.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 47, Arya IX.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 13, Tyrion II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 70, Jon IX.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 15, Sansa I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 51, Catelyn VII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 25, Tyrion VI.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 17, Cersei IV.