|Coat of arms||
A yellow field strewn with red ants|
(Or, semé of ants gules)
|Head||Lord Arthur Ambrose|
House Ambrose is a noble house from the Reach.
In 42 AC Ser Aegon Ambrose, a knight of the Warrior's Sons, took part in the trial of seven in which seven of the Warrior's Sons faced King Maegor I Targaryen and his six champions. He died during the battle.
During the civil war known as the Dance of the Dragons, Marq Ambrose was loyal to King Aegon II Targaryen. He was a member of the Caltrops, supporters of Aegon II who plotted to dispose of Ulf the White and Hugh Hammer. Marq suggested that, since both Ulf the White and Hugh Hammer were dragonriders, they would kill the men only after taking King's Landing from the forces of Rhaenyra Targaryen, but Richard Rodden insisted that such a plan would be dishonorable. Marq was later slain during the Second Battle of Tumbleton.
A Clash of Kings
House Ambrose follow their Tyrell overlords in declaring for Renly Baratheon on the outset of the War of the Five Kings. While on the march with Renly's army, Ser Edmund Ambrose is one of the knights who start the wager on the maidenhood of Brienne of Tarth, bringing her flowers and offering to ride with her. Brienne eventually discovers the wager, after which she seeks Edmund out during the melee at Bitterbridge and defeats him.
After Renly's death, the Ambroses again follow the Tyrells, marching with the Tyrell-Lannister army at the Battle of the Blackwater. The squire Alyn Ambrose slays a Myrish crossbowman and a Mullendore man-at-arms during the fighting.
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
House Ambrose at the end of the third century
The known Ambroses during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
With unspecified familiar relationship to the main branch of the house there is also:
- Ser Aegon Ambrose, a knight of the Warrior's Sons in 42 AC.
- Marq Ambrose, loyal to King Aegon II Targaryen during the Dance of the Dragons.
- Ser Aubrey Ambrose, a knight who supported Daemon I Blackfyre during his rebellion.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 9, Brienne II.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Reach
- The Citadel. House Mottoes
- The Sons of the Dragon.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- The Sworn Sword.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 14, Brienne III.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 20, Brienne IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 16, Sansa II.