House Bar Emmon
|House Bar Emmon of Sharp Point|
|Coat of arms||
A leaping blue swordfish on fretty silver on white|
(White fretty argent, a swordfish embowed azure)
|Head||Lord Duram Bar Emmon|
|Overlord||House Baratheon of Dragonstone|
|Founder||Togarion Bar Emmon|
|Founded||Coming of the Andals|
Togarion Bar Emmon was an Andal warlord who founded a small kingdom north of the Blackwater Rush during the Andal invasion, but he was opposed by the more powerful Darklyn kings of Duskendale. Sensing a weakness to the south, Togarion married the daughter of King Josua Massey of Stonedance, himself a rival to the Storm King Qarlton II Durrandon, and the Bar Emmons abandoned the Blackwater for Massey's Hook.
Although Qarlton defeated Josua, Togarion drove the stormlanders from Stonedance, built Sharp Point as the new seat for House Bar Emmon, and established a kingdom on Massey's Hook with the son of Josua as a puppet. The region was eventually recovered by the stormlands, however.
Prior to the War of Conquest, House Bar Emmon was sworn to House Durrandon, the Storm Kings from Storm's End, but had closer ties to House Targaryen of nearby Dragonstone. When Aegon the Conqueror launched his invasion of Westeros, the Bar Emmons supported him instead of the Storm King, Argilac the Arrogant. With the creation of the crownlands after the Conquest, the Bar Emmons became sworn directly to Dragonstone, instead of House Baratheon of Storm's End, who had replaced the Durrandons.
When the realm began to turn against King Maegor I Targaryen for his nephew Prince Jaehaerys, Lord Bar Emmon was among the score of lesser lords who gathered at his command. However, when Maegor mysteriously died upon the Iron Throne, Lord Bar Emmon fled back to Sharp Point. When the young King Jaehaerys I resided at Dragonstone, Lord Bar Emmon was one of the first lords who traveled to the island to speak with the king. When the Shivers struck Westeros, Lord Bar Emmon was one of the many nobles that succumbed to the illness.
House Bar Emmon supported Princess Rhaenys Targaryen in the Great Council of 101 AC. Lord Bar Emmon was a member of Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen's black council during the Dance of the Dragons. After the greens' victory at the Battle of the Honeywine, Lord Bar Emmon suggested for Rhaenyra to bend the knees to King Aegon II Targaryen, but the queen dismissed his advice.
A Clash of Kings
As a vassal of Dragonstone, Lord Duram Bar Emmon supports Stannis Baratheon's claim to the Iron Throne. Stannis complains that the lords sworn to him, including Bar Emmon, are a poor crop. Davos Seaworth sees Lord Duram turning a splotchy grey during the burning of the sept of Dragonstone.
A Storm of Swords
After Stannis's defeat at the Blackwater, House Bar Emmon is one of the few houses that remain loyal to him. However, Lord Duram's support is disparaged by both Stannis and Lord Alester Florent, for the Lord of Sharp Point is a feeble, fat boy of fifteen.
House Bar Emmon at the end of the third century
The known Bar Emmons during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Togarion Bar Emmon, called Togarion the Terrible, the founder of the house.
- Lord Bar Emmon, a supporter of Aegon the Conqueror during his war of conquest.
- Lord Bar Emmon, one of King Maegor I Targaryen's last supporters.
- Lord Bar Emmon, who died from the Shivers in 59 AC.
- Lord Bar Emmon, a supporter of Laenor Velaryon's claim to the Iron Throne at the Great Council of 101 AC.
- Lord Bar Emmon, a member of Rhaenyra Targaryen's black council during the Dance of the Dragons.
- A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Andals in the Stormlands.
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 75, Samwell IV.
- Citadel. Heraldry: In the area of the King's Landing
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Conquest.
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- Fire & Blood, Prince into King - The Ascension of Jaehaerys I.
- Fire & Blood, A Surfeit of Rulers.
- Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne: Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- Fire & Blood, Heirs of the Dragon - A Question of Succession.
- Fire & Blood, The Blacks and the Greens.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- A Clash of Kings, Prologue.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 10, Davos I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 58, Davos III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 25, Davos III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 36, Davos IV.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Sharp Point.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Policy, Progeny and Pain.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys I.