|House Crane of Red Lake|
|Coat of arms||
A vee of golden cranes on pale blue|
(Bleu celeste, cranes in chevron or)
|Founder||Rose of Red Lake|
House Crane of Red Lake is a noble house from Red Lake in the Reach. It is one of the principal houses sworn to House Tyrell.
They blazon their shield with a vee of golden cranes on pale blue.
According to legend the house was founded by Rose of Red Lake, a daughter of Garth Greenhand. It is rumored that some female members of House Crane are able to skinchange into cranes. The Crane castle of Red Lake is located at a lake of the same name.
Red Lake and the Cranes joined the Kingdom of the Reach through pacts of friendship and mutual defense with King Garth III Gardener. Lancel IV Lannister, King of the Rock, and Ser Wilbert Osgrey, Marshall of the Northmarch, slew each other at Red Lake when Lancel invaded the Reach.
Ellard Crane was a young squire in the court of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen. He was a brief companion of Princess Daella Targaryen, but Ellard fell out with the princess when he tried to kiss her.
A Clash of Kings
The banners of House Crane are seen beneath the walls of Bitterbridge in Renly Baratheon's encampment. Ser Parmen Crane, known as Parmen the Purple, is a member of Renly's Rainbow Guard. After Renly's death at Storm's End, Parmen joins Stannis Baratheon's cause. His new king sends him to Bitterbridge with Ser Erren Florent to retrieve Renly's foot soldiers.
A Storm of Swords
Ser Parmen is imprisoned at Highgarden after being captured by the Tyrells at Bitterbridge.
Meredyth Crane tells amusing stories to Sansa Stark in King's Landing. After Sansa marries Tyrion Lannister, Merry dances with Jalabhar Xho.
A Feast for Crows
Merry hawks and picks flowers in the kingswood as part of Queen Margaery Tyrell's retinue.
House Crane at the end of the third century
The known Cranes during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Ser Vortimer Crane, master-at-arms at Highgarden.
With unspecified familiar relationship to the main branch there are also:
- Ser Parmen Crane, known as Parmen the Purple.
- Lady Melara Crane, wife of Lord Alester Florent.
- Ser Rycherd Crane, husband of Rylene Florent.
- Meredyth Crane, a lady attendant of Queen Margaery Tyrell.
- Ellard Crane, a squire in the court of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Reach
- ↑ Only the cranes are mentioned in A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
- ↑ George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Red Lake.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: The Gardener Kings.
- ↑ The Sworn Sword.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Westerlands.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne: Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 42, Davos II.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 16, Sansa II.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 28, Sansa III.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 25, Davos III.