|Coat of arms||
Three red martlets on a white bend, on a blue field|
(Azure, on a bend argent three martlets gules)
House Grell is a noble house from the riverlands. According to semi-canon sources they blazon their arms with three red martlets on a white bend, on blue.
Ser Desmond Grell was among those who attended the wedding of Eddard Stark and Catelyn Tully. He has been the master-at-arms at Riverrun since at least Robert's Rebellion, spending forty years living at Riverrun.
A Clash of Kings
Ser Desmond Grell is in charge of training new bowmen. When Ser Edmure Tully challenges the Lannister force at the Battle of the Fords, he leaves Desmond in charge of Riverrun.
A Storm of Swords
Lothar Frey replaces Desmond as one of the nobles who launch the funeral boat of Lord Hoster Tully.
A Feast for Crows
Ser Desmond joins Ser Robin Ryger in setting off to join the Night's Watch after the surrender of Riverrun.
House Grell at the end of the third century
The known Grells during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Ser Desmond Grell, master-at-arms at Riverrun.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Riverlands
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 2, Catelyn I.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 44, Jaime VII.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 45, Catelyn VI.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 35, Catelyn IV.