|House Hayford of Hayford|
|Coat of arms||
Green fretty over gold, a green pale wavy|
(Or fretty vert, a pale wavy of the second)
|Head||Lady Ermesande Hayford|
|Title||Lord of Hayford|
|Overlord||House Baratheon of King's Landing|
House Hayford of Hayford is a noble house from Hayford in the crownlands, less than a day's ride from King's Landing. It is sworn directly to the Iron Throne. Their blazon is green fretty over gold, a green pale wavy.
When the realm began to turn against King Maegor I Targaryen for Prince Jaehaerys Targaryen, Lord Hayford was among the score of lesser lords who gathered at his command. When Lord Hayford urged the king to abdicate the Iron Throne, Maegor the Cruel had Lord Hayford beheaded and placed his head on a lance.
At the beginning of the Dance of the Dragons, Lord Hayford was executed in King's Landing for refusing to renounce his oaths to Rhaenyra Targaryen in favor of Aegon II Targaryen. Levies from Hayford joined the host of Lord Borros Baratheon in support Aegon II, but they abandoned Borros during the Battle of the Kingsroad. Hayfords joined the host of Ser Robert Rowan which marched to aid Ser Joffrey Arryn.
Lyra Hayford was a possible marriage candidate for King Aegon III Targaryen in the Maiden's Day Ball. Lord Unwin Peake spread rumors that a jealous Lyra had smothered an infant brother.
During the First Blackfyre Rebellion, Lord Hayford was a noted loyalist who was named Hand of the King to Daeron II Targaryen just before the Battle of the Redgrass Field. Ser Arlan of Pennytree served him during the rebellion. Lord Hayford was slain by Lord Gormon Peake during the battle.
When Lord Brynden Rivers marched on Whitewalls to quash the Second Blackfyre Rebellion, among the houses who came in support were the Hayfords.
A Clash of Kings
Lady Ermesande Hayford, a baby and the last of her line, is in attendance during the tourney on King Joffrey's name day. Ermesande is made to marry Tyrek Lannister so the Lannisters can claim her lands. Soon afterwards Tyrek disappears in the riot of King's Landing, however, and is assumed dead.
A Feast for Crows
Ser Jaime Lannister camps his force beneath the walls of Hayford. He visits with the castellan and discusses the whereabouts of Tyrek. It seems that the War of the Five Kings has not touched the Hayford lands much, although one of their vassals, House Hogg, was raided by forces under Ser Amory Lorch.
House Hayford at the end of the third century
The known Hayfords during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lady Ermesande Hayford, a babe.
- Lord Hayford, one of the last supporters of King Maegor I Targaryen.
- Lord Hayford, who was executed in King's Landing at the beginning of the Dance of the Dragons for refusing to renounce his oaths to Rhaenyra Targaryen.
- Lyra Hayford, a possible marriage candidate for King Aegon III Targaryen.
- Lyra's infant brother.
- Lord Hayford, Hand of the King to Daeron II, killed during the Battle of the Redgrass Field.
They have lusty wenches in House Hayford.
- ↑ George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Ermesande Hayford.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The Sworn Sword.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 27, Jaime III.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Short, Sad Reign of Aegon II.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.
- ↑ The Mystery Knight.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 2, Sansa I.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 25, Tyrion VI.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 41, Tyrion IX.
- ↑ The Sons of the Dragon.