|House Mullendore of Uplands|
|Coat of arms||
Black-and-orange butterflies strewn over white|
(Argent, semé of butterflies sable and tenné)
|Head||Lord Martyn Mullendore|
|Title||Lord of Uplands|
House Mullendore of Uplands is one of the principal noble houses from the Reach. Their seat, Uplands, is east of Oldtown. They are sworn to the Hightowers.
Their arms depict a field of black-and-orange butterflies strewn over white. Their motto does not appear in the books.
In 55 AC, Lord Mullendore married Jennis Templeton. It was considered an exceptional match for her, and a triumph for Queen Alysanne Targaryen.
During the Dance of the Dragons, Lord Mullendore declared Uplands for the blacks, going against his Hightower overlords.
Ser Matthew Mullendore participated in the tourney at Ashford Meadow in 209 AC, his arms spotted by Duncan the Tall in the gathered heraldry.
Blackshield rode at a tourney in Oldtown, where he was unhorsed and unmasked by Ser Barristan Selmy.
A Clash of Kings
House Mullendore supports Renly Baratheon's claim for the Iron Throne during the War of the Five Kings. Ser Mark Mullendore is a popular member in Renly's army, notably because of his trained black-and-white monkey. Mark goes over to Stannis Baratheon after Renly's death.
Mark loses his arm and his monkey at the Battle of the Blackwater, and is one of the nobles captured. He bends the knee to King Joffrey Baratheon. An Uplands man-at-arms is killed by the squire Alyn Ambrose in the battle.
A Feast for Crows
Queen Cersei Lannister has an arrest warrant signed for Mark as part of her plan to get rid of Queen Margaery Tyrell. He is sent to the dungeons of the Red Keep after his arrest.
House Mullendore at the end of the third century
The known Mullendores during the timespan of the events described on A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Martyn Mullendore, Lord of Uplands.
With unknown relation to the Lord of the house, there is also:
- Ser Mark Mullendore, a cheerful knight.
- "Blackshield", a mystery knight revealed as the Bastard of Uplands.
- Lord Mullendore, who married Jennis Templeton in 55 AC.
- Lord Mullendore, ruling during the Dance of the Dragons.
- Ser Matthew Mullendore, who participated in the tourney at Ashford Meadow in 209 AC.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 27, Daenerys II.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Reach
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 The Hedge Knight, Graphic Novel.
- ↑ The Hedge Knight.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 67, Jaime VIII.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 14, Arya IV.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 14, Brienne III.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 65, Sansa VIII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 16, Sansa II.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 43, Cersei X.