|House Vaith of the Red Dunes|
|Coat of arms||
Three black leopards standing on a yellow pile on orange|
(Tenné, on a pile or three leopards statant sable)
|Head||Lord Daeron Vaith|
|Title||Lord of the Red Dunes|
House Vaith of the Red Dunes is a Dornish noble house. Their seat, also named Vaith, is placed on the river with the same name. West of Vaith are the deep sands of Dorne; the head of House Vaith has the title Lord of the Red Dunes.
Neither their arms nor words appear in the books, but according to a semi-canon source they blazon their shield with three black leopards standing on a yellow pile on orange.
The Vaiths were adventuring Andals who settled in the hills east of the deep dunes and sands of Dorne. The nearby river soon took their name.
During the War of Conquest, Queen Rhaenys Targaryen flew upon Meraxes to Vaith but found the castle abandoned. During the First Dornish War, Lord Harlen Tyrell and his army marched from the Hellholt to capture Vaith, but they disappeared in the sands. During the Dragon's Wroth, Lord Vaith was murdered for the Iron Throne's ransom on his head.
Lord Vaith bent the knee to King Daeron I Targaryen in the Submission of Sunspear during the Conquest of Dorne.
Cassella Vaith was the third mistress of King Aegon IV Targaryen. Old Lady Vaith was reportedly mad during the reign of King Aerys I Targaryen, though according to Egg, Ser Duncan the Tall could have been more courteous in what he said to her.
A Feast for Crows
Arianne Martell plans to cross the Dornish desert with Myrcella Baratheon via Vaith, the Hellholt and Sandstone, but they are intercepted on the Greenblood by Areo Hotah.
House Vaith at the end of the third century
The known Vaiths during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Daeron Vaith, the Lord of the Red Dunes.
- Lord Vaith, who was murdered for the price on his head during the Dragon's Wroth.
- Lord Vaith ruling during the Conquest of Dorne.
- Lady Cassella Vaith, his daughter and the third mistress of King Aegon IV Targaryen. She was encountered by Ser Duncan the Tall and his squire Egg during the reign of either King Daeron II Targaryen or King Aerys I Targaryen.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne: The Andals Arrive.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 21, The Queenmaker.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses from Dorne
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne Against the Dragons.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Fire & Blood, Reign of the Dragon - The Wars of King Aegon I.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, Targaryen Kings: Daeron I.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 The World of Ice & Fire, Targaryen Kings: Aegon IV.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 The Sworn Sword.
- ↑ Depending on whether Dunk and Egg got Vaith before King Daeron's death.