|House Volmark of Volmark|
|Coat of arms||A black leviathan on a grey field (Cendrée, a leviathan sable)|
|Head||Lord Maron Volmark|
House Volmark of Volmark is a noble house from the Iron Islands. Their seat of Volmark is on the island of Harlaw, and they are sworn to the house of the same name. They have large holdings on the island and have a decorated history.
They blazon their arms with a black leviathan on a grey sea. Their words are not known.
After the death of King Harren Hoare in the burning of Harrenhal, Lord Qhorin Volmark claimed the title of King of the Iron Islands, as his grandmother was the younger sister of King Harwyn Hardhand. Qhorin was slain by King Aegon I Targaryen during the invasion of the Iron Islands in 2 AC, however. Goren Greyjoy, Lord of the Iron Islands, defeated a conspiracy to crown Qhorin's son in 33 AC.
Lord Volmark was put to the sword by westermen during Lady Johanna Lannister's invasion of the Iron Islands in 134 AC.
A Feast for Crows
When the kingsmoot is summoned, Lord Rodrik Harlaw calls his bannermen in Asha Greyjoy's name. Among others, the Volmarks gather at Ten Towers. While standing ashore on Old Wyk a Volmark greets Victarion Greyjoy. Tarle the Thrice-Drowned claims that Lord Maron Volmark has the best claim on the Seastone Chair. Aeron Greyjoy spots the banners of House Volmark among those gathered for the kingsmoot on Old Wyk. During the kingsmoot, however, all the lords and captains are free to choose their candidate, and Maron supports Victarion.
After the taking of the Shields by the ironborn, King Euron Greyjoy names Maron as Lord of Greenshield. Victarion interprets it as a way to reinforce Euron's prestige by gaining the support of the young lord, who descends from Black Harren's line through his mother.
House Volmark at the end of the third century
The known Volmarks during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Maron Volmark, Lord of Volmark and of Greenshield. A young boy.
- Lord Qhorin Volmark, a claimant after the death of Harren the Black.
- His son, who was defeated by Lord Goren Greyjoy.
- Lord Volmark, put to the sword by westermen during Lady Johanna Lannister's invasion of the Iron Islands in 134 AC.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 11, The Kraken's Daughter.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Iron Islands
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Fire & Blood, Reign of the Dragon - The Wars of King Aegon I.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: The Greyjoys of Pyke.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 18, The Iron Captain.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 19, The Drowned Man.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 29, The Reaver.