Touch Me Not
|Coat of arms||
Three white hedgehogs, on a yellow field|
(Or, three hedgehogs argent)
House Wode is a noble house of landed knights sworn to House Whent of Harrenhal in the riverlands. Their lands lie close to the border with the crownlands; Sow's Horn is nearby. According to semi-canon sources the Wodes blazon their arms with three white hedgehogs on yellow. Their motto is "Touch Me Not".
In 130 AC during the Dance of the Dragons, the vanguard of Ser Criston Cole defeated Ser Oswald Wode and Lords Darry and Roote along the Gods Eye while marching toward Harrenhal.
A Game of Thrones
Ser Willis Wode aids Lady Catelyn Stark and Ser Rodrik Cassel at the inn at the crossroads when she captures Tyrion Lannister. Willis is gravely injured during the ride through the Mountains of the Moon, but survives long enough to make it to the Bloody Gate.
A Clash of Kings
The Iron Throne grants Harrenhal to House Baelish.
A Feast for Crows
During the journey to lift the siege of Riverrun, Ser Jaime Lannister and his host come across the lands held by the brothers Wode, two landed knights sworn to Harrenhal. Jaime encounters neither member of the Wode family or their smallfolk but finds their earth and timber halls burned down. Jaime hangs several outlaws taking shelter in the cellar beneath one of the ruined halls.
House Wode at the end of the third century
The known Wodes during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Ser Willis Wode, a knight.
- Ser Willis's unnamed brother.
- Ser Oswald Wode, one of the blacks.
Behind the Scenes
The Wodes' halls may be a reference by George R. R. Martin to the story Three Little Pigs. The earth and timber halls of the Wodes are burned down by raiders, but the stout stone of Sow's Horn, seat of House Hogg, resists Amory Lorch.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 27, Jaime III.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Riverlands
- ↑ The Citadel. House Mottoes
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Triumphant.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 31, Tyrion IV.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 34, Catelyn VI.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 65, Sansa VIII.