|House Wyl of the Boneway|
|Coat of arms||
A black adder biting a heel on yellow|
(Or, a human heel proper being bitten by an adder sable)
House Wyl of the Boneway is a house from Wyl in northern Dorne. It is one of the principal houses sworn to House Martell of Sunspear. According to semi-canon sources, they blazon their banners with a black adder biting a heel on yellow.
During the First Dornish War, the Wyl of Wyl ambushed and defeated the forces of Lord Orys Baratheon as they attempted to assault the Boneway. The most infamous act of the First Dornish War was committed by Lord Wyl, when he showed up at the wedding of Ser Jon Cafferen and Alys Oakheart, castrating the groom, having the bride be gang-raped by his men and sold into slavery, and slaying Lord Oakheart and most of the guests. The Wyl of Wyl's son, Walter Wyl, fought beside the Vulture King during the reign of King Aenys I Targaryen.
During the final stage of the conquest of Dorne, King Daeron I Targaryen was attacked and killed under the pretext of a peace banner and Prince Aemon Targaryen was imprisoned by the Wyls. Lord Wyl forced King Baelor I Targaryen to cross venomous snakes in order to free the Dragonknight.
A Game of Thrones
A Dance with Dragons
The Wyls delay Ser Balon Swann for several days by entertaining him with hawking and hunting on the Boneway. Several Wyls are present at the feast when Balon arrives in Sunspear to deliver the head of Ser Gregor Clegane. They refuse to drink when Ricasso raises a toast to King Tommen I Baratheon.
House Wyl at the end of the third century
The known Wyls during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- No known Wyls have appeared yet.
- Wylla of Wyl, a warrior maid.
- The Wyl of Wyl, who ambushed Orys Baratheon during the First Dornish War.
- Wyland Wyl, a one-armed man who killed Ser Steffon Connington in the Dornish Marches.
- Lord Wyl, who captured Prince Aemon the Dragonknight during the final days of the Conquest of Dorne.
Behind the Scenes
- A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses from Dorne
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Wyl.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Stormlands: House Durrandon.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne: Dorne Against the Dragons.
- Fire & Blood, The Reign of the Dragon - The Wars of King Aegon I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aenys I.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Daeron I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Baelor I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 30, Eddard VII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 38, The Watcher.
- The Citadel: Are there any nods to other works in the series?