House of the Dragon
|House of the Dragon|
|Directed by||Miguel Sapochnik|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10|
George R. R. Martin
|Original channel||HBO, HBO Max|
|Related shows||Game of Thrones|
House of the Dragon takes place centuries before the War of the Five Kings, and involves the dragonlord ancestors of House Targaryen as well as the Dance of the Dragons. The show is based on George R. R. Martin's Fire & Blood, along with the novella The Princess and the Queen and the novelette The Rogue Prince.
Conception and development
House of the Dragon was first pitched by George R. R. Martin in the summer of 2016, when he was still writing Fire & Blood. It was greenlit in October 2019 and has received a 10-episode straight-to-series order by HBO, who have hired Miguel Sapochnik to direct the pilot episode and additional episodes. In addition to Sapochnik, Ryan Condal will serve as co-showrunner. George R. R. Martin, Vince Gerardis, and Casey Bloys have been attached as executive producers, and Wes Tooke, Claire Kiechel, Ti Mikkel, Sara Hess, and Charmaine DeGraté as writers. Although Martin has expressed interest in writing an episode, he wishes to first finish The Winds of Winter.
- TBA as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen
- TBA as Queen Alicent Hightower
- TBA as Prince Daemon Targaryen
- Paddy Considine as King Viserys I Targaryen
House of the Dragon is, according to HBO programming chief Casey Bloys, expected to premiere in 2022.
- Not A Blog, "The Dragons Take Wing", October 30, 2019
- Redanian Intelligence: HBO's Game of Thrones Prequel House of the Dragon is looking for two female leads
- Redanian Intelligence: HBO’s House of the Dragon is looking to cast the Rogue Prince Daemon Targaryen
- Watchers on the Wall: Paddy Considine Cast in Lead Role in House of the Dragon!
- Redanian Intelligence: "HBO's House of the Dragon to reportedly begin filming in late 2020"
- Deadline, "Game of Thrones Prequel House of the Dragon to Launch in 2022", January 15, 2020