Household knights and their families can associate with those of their lord. Some Kings of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men have used household knights and men-at-arms to protect members of the royal family instead of the Kingsguard.
A score of knights in the household of Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen volunteered during the Sowing of the Seeds. According to Mushroom, the crippled King Aegon II Targaryen would watch his household knights couple with servants and ladies of his court.
The second mistress of Lord Tytos Lannister outraged his heir, Tywin Lannister, by giving orders to household knights. During the Reyne-Tarbeck revolt, Ser Tywin crushed Lord Walderan Tarbeck and his household knights with a much larger force.
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Storms
A Feast for Crows
Now Queen Regent, Cersei demeans her uncle, Ser Kevan Lannister, for having been a household knight in service to her late father, Lord Tywin Lannister, but Kevan explains he is still powerful because of his own incomes, accumulated wealth and base of support.
A Dance with Dragons
Asha Greyjoy thinks that Ser Justin Massey, who has lost access to his ancestral lands through the War of the Five Kings, hopes to wed her and thereby improve his station, otherwise he will be no more than a household knight in the service of Stannis Baratheon.
Duncan: Egg ... Aegon, I mean, he is a good lad, but, Your Grace, I know you honor me, but ... I am only a hedge knight.
Maekar: That can be changed. Aegon is to return to my castle at Summerhall. There is a place there for you, if you wish. A knight of my household. You'll swear your sword to me, and Aegon can squire for you. While you train him, my master-at-arms will finish your own training.
Ser Argrave was a spare, leathery man, a seasoned household knight in dinted gray armor riding an unbarded horse. Dunk had known his sort before; such men were tough as old roots, and knew their business.—thoughts of Duncan the Tall
- The Hedge Knight.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 68, Sansa VI.
- Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne: Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 61, The Griffin Reborn.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 32, Cersei VII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 33, Jaime V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 55, The Queensguard.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 28, Cersei VI.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: Andals in the Reach.
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.
- Fire & Blood, Heirs of the Dragon - A Question of Succession.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Short, Sad Reign of Aegon II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Epilogue.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Westerlands: House Lannister Under the Dragons.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 19, Tyrion III.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 47, Eddard XIII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 7, Cersei II.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 24, Cersei V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 42, The King's Prize.
- The Mystery Knight.