From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
Jewelry is used by men and women throughout the known world to change or enhance physical appearance.
Earrings are rarely mentioned in text, and the word "earring" never appears as such. The handful of mentions made of ear piercings are actually for males with jeweled studs in their ears, or exotic foreigners not from Westeros (and even these are scarce).
- Ramsay Bolton at times wears a garnet in his right ear, cut into the shape of a drop of blood.
- Garin, an orphans of the Greenblood from Dorne, wears a jade stud in one of his ears.
- Lysono Maar, spymaster for the Golden Company in the Free Cities, wears and inordinate amount of jewelry and cosmetics, giving him a somewhat feminine appearance. He has heavily pierced ears filled with pearls and amethysts.
It appears to be generally uncommon for men to have ear piercings in Westeros.
Nonetheless a stray mention is made at Sansa Stark's wedding to Tyrion Lannister that "moonstones hung from her ears and about her neck" - implying that it is actually commonplace for female aristocrats in Westeros to wear earrings.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 12, Reek I.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 21, The Queenmaker.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 24, The Lost Lord.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 28, Sansa III.