Johanna Lannister by © Hylora
|Spouse||Lord Jason Lannister|
Johanna Lannister, née Westerling, was the Lady of Casterly Rock through her marriage to Lord Jason Lannister.
Lady Johanna was the daughter of Lord Roland Westerling of the Crag.
During the civil war known as the Dance of the Dragons, Lady Johanna's husband, Lord Jason Lannister, and his twin brother, Ser Tyland, supported the greens. Jason led his banners and marched to the field in support of King Aegon II Targaryen, but he was slain in the Battle at the Red Fork in 130 AC. After Jason's death, Johanna ruled the Rock as a regent for their young son, Lord Loreon Lannister. The Red Kraken, Lord Dalton Greyjoy, took advantage of the situation and attacked the westerlands causing much damage to the region. Lady Johanna barred the gates of Casterly Rock, but Dalton sacked nearby Lannisport.
According to semi-canon sources, Johanna "donned man's mail" to lead the remaining Lannister forces in the struggle to drive the ironborn from their shores.[N 1]
There was a struggle for power among the ironborn after the Red Kraken was murdered at Faircastle a few years later. Since the Lannister fleet had been destroyed by the Greyjoys, Johanna allied with the lord admiral of the Reach, Ser Leo Costayne, to have the westermen invade the Iron Islands in 134 AC. When Rodrik Greyjoy was taken to Casterly Rock as a captive, Johanna had him gelded and made him her son's fool.
Johanna reclaimed the dwindling glory of House Lannister and also lent gold to King's Landing to help rebuild the extensive damages caused by the previous civil war.
- ↑ According to the semi-canon, unabridged version of "The Westerlands" from The World of Ice & Fire released on George R.R. Martin's website.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Fire & Blood, Aftermath - The Hour of the Wolf.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: The Red Kraken.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon II.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Hooded Hand.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Voyage of Alyn Oakenfist.