The Last River is a river found in the most northern part of the north, nearer to the Wall than to Winterfell. Much of the land on either side of the river is ruled by House Umber.
The Last River's headwaters are a number of streams in the northern mountains. It flows east past the kingsroad and through the Umber forest containing Last Hearth. The river then continues southeast between the Dreadfort and Karhold to the Shivering Sea. There is ice fishing on the northern rivers.
The Red Kings from House Bolton of the Dreadfort once ruled lands stretching from the Last River to the White Knife.
A Clash of Kings
Umbers led by Hother and Mors come from beyond the Last River to attend the harvest feast in Winterfell.
The Umbers are reported as gathering men beyond the Last River to assist in the recovery of Winterfell from Theon Greyjoy's ironborn.
A Dance with Dragons
When Stannis Baratheon considers marching from Castle Black to the Dreadfort, Jon Snow warns him that Umbers led by Mors would cut his host to pieces when Stannis travels past the Last River and the Lonely Hills. Stannis instead travels west to the northern mountain clans and Deepwood Motte.
- ↑ George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Last River.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 16, Bran II.
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire, Westeros.
- ↑ So Spake Martin: The Effects of Winter, June 21, 2001
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The North: The Kings of Winter.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 56, Theon V.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 17, Jon IV.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 26, The Wayward Bride.