Lord Paramount of the Trident
After the death of Harren Hoare, the King of the Isles and the Rivers, at Harrenhal during Aegon's Conquest, Aegon the Conqueror granted the riverlands to Lord Edmyn Tully of Riverrun and named him Lord Paramount of the Trident.
A Clash of Kings
After the assassination of King Renly Baratheon at Storm's End, Petyr Baelish and Tyrion Lannister plot to form an alliance with House Tyrell to win over any lords from the Reach or the stormlands that did not immediately declare for King Stannis Baratheon. Petyr volunteers to travel to Bitterbridge to broker the deal, and is successful in forging a Lannister-Tyrell alliance through the engagement of King Joffrey I Baratheon and Margaery Tyrell, the daughter of Mace Tyrell, Lord Paramount of the Mander.
Petyr returns to King's Landing with Tyrell forces alongside those of Lord Tywin Lannister. The allied Lannister and Tyrell armies are able to take Stannis's forces in the rear in the last hours of the Battle of the Blackwater, with Petyr providing the idea to dress Ser Garlan Tyrell in King Renly's armor during the battle so as to frighten Stannis's men-at-arms.
After the battle, Petyr is rewarded with the title Lord Paramount of the Trident and is made the new liege lord over the riverlands according to the Iron Throne. Petyr is also made Lord of Harrenhal, although the castle is still held by Lord Roose Bolton in Robb's name. Though Petyr has not set foot in Harrenhal, the title gives him nominal control over the war-torn riverlands and elevates his rank considerably.
A Storm of Swords
Hoster Tully passes away at Riverrun and his successor, Lord Edmure Tully, is attainted by the Iron Throne after being captured at the Red Wedding. In addition to being Lord Paramount of the Trident, Petyr Baelish becomes Lord Protector of the Vale after wedding Lady Lysa Arryn.
Known Lords Paramount of the Trident
- Lord Edmyn Tully, first Lord Paramount of the Trident
- Lord Grover Tully, a lord during the Dance of the Dragons.
- Lord Elmo Tully, a lord during the Dance of the Dragons.
- Lord Kermit Tully, a lord during the Dance of the Dragons.
- Lord Medgar Tully, lord during the reign of King Aerys I Targaryen.
- Lord Hoster Tully, stripped of the title by the Iron Throne.
- Lord Petyr Baelish, granted the title by the Iron Throne.
It is the wish of the King's Grace that his loyal councillor Petyr Baelish be rewarded for faithful service to crown and realm. Be it known that Lord Baelish is granted the castle of Harrenhal with all its attendant lands and incomes, there to make his seat and rule henceforth as Lord Paramount of the Trident. Petyr Baelish and his sons and grandsons shall hold and enjoy these honors until the end of time, and all the lords of the Trident shall do him homage as their rightful liege.—Ser Kevan Lannister at court
Lord Paramount of the Trident, Sansa thought, and Lord of Harrenhal as well. She did not understand why that should make him so happy; the honors were as empty as the title granted to Hallyne the Pyromancer.—thoughts of Sansa Stark
- The World of Ice & Fire.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 7, Catelyn I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 14, Catelyn II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 36, Tyrion VIII.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 41, Tyrion IX.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 54, Tyrion XII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 67, Jaime VIII.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 65, Sansa VIII.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 35, Bran V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 72, Jaime IX.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 53, Tyrion VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 68, Sansa VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 80, Sansa VII.