From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
The War of the Five Kings is a large conflict fought in the Seven Kingdoms from 298 AC until 300 AC. The war is named after the five men who claim the title of king: Joffrey Baratheon, Renly Baratheon, Robb Stark, Stannis Baratheon, and Balon Greyjoy. While the three Baratheons fight over the Iron Throne and the title Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Robb Stark fights for independence as the King in the North and King of the Trident. Balon Greyjoy proclaims his own independence and goes on the offensive, declaring himself King of the Isles and the North for a second time.
The War of the Five Kings is fought mainly in the north, the riverlands, the westerlands, the stormlands, and the crownlands, with most of the Great Houses taking part. While tensions had already been building for months, following the death of Hand of the King Jon Arryn, the actual war breaks out after the death of King Robert I Baratheon, when current Hand, Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell, attempts to seize Robert's acknowledged heir, Prince Joffrey, having discovered that Joffrey is, in truth, an illegitimate son. This leads to Robert's brother Stannis, his legal heir, to claim the throne. However, their younger brother Renly claims the throne as well, on the ground of conquest. After the arrest of Eddard Stark had brought the north into the conflict, Eddard's death at the hands of Joffrey leads to the northern proclamation of independence. Lord Balon Greyjoy eventually decides to take advantage of the war and names himself king, trying to succeed where he had failed ten years before. Read more...
- "No man is free. Only children and fools think elsewise." – Tywin Lannister 
- "If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die." – Eddard Stark to Bran 
- "We'll never find that one, and I'll be blamed. Nothing ever goes missing that they don't look at me, ever since that time I lost my horse. As if that could be helped. He was white and it was snowing, what did they expect?" – Dolorous Edd 
Did you know...
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 1, Bran I, 13.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Prologue.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Iron Islands.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 28, Cersei VI.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys I.
- ↑ asoiaf.westeros.org: The time-outs of Jaehaerys I and Alysanne
About the Wiki
Ten sister Wikis in Other Languages
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.