Master of whisperers
The master of whisperers or mistress of whisperers is the king's spymaster and is a member of the small council. He or she is charged with gathering intelligence from the Red Keep, King's Landing, around the Seven Kingdoms, across the narrow sea, and other places.
Tyanna of Pentos, the most feared of Maegor I Targaryen's wives, served her husband as his mistress of whisperers. It was said that speaking secrets in the Red Keep was foolish, as rats and other vermin were her spies. She tortured many enemies of the Crown, including fellow wife Alys Harroway and her many alleged lovers; all but two confessed to adultery.
Brynden Rivers, known as Lord Bloodraven, was a spymaster with a network of spies while serving on Daeron II Targaryen's small council. Brynden later served Aerys I Targaryen as master of whisperers as well as Hand of the King.
A Game of Thrones
A Feast for Crows
|“||The master of whisperers must be sly and obsequious and without scruple. A courageous informer would be as useless as a cowardly knight.||”|
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Maegor I.
- ↑ The Sons of the Dragon.
- ↑ The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Viserys I.
- ↑ World of Ice and Fire Update - Spymaster
- ↑ The Mystery Knight.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aerys I.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 12, Eddard II.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 17, Cersei IV.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 58, Eddard XV.