Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm is one of the three titles held by the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms, along with King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men and Lord of the Seven Kingdoms.
The title seems to be of a military nature, referring to the overall command of the King over the armies of the Seven Kingdoms, as it has been held by Regents in case of infancy or incapacitation of the ruling king. The King may also rennounce the title and grant it of his own accord.
Known Protectors of the Realm who did not rule as Kings
- Lord Robar Baratheon, Lord Paramount of the Stormlands, named Hand of the King and Protector of the Realm during the minority of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen.
- Prince Daemon Targaryen, declared himself Protector of the Realm after crowning Rhaenyra Targaryen as Queen.
- Prince Aemond Targaryen, Prince Regent, during the incapacitation of Aegon II Targaryen.
- Prince Baelor Targaryen, Hand of the King, named Protector of the Realm by his father, King Daeron II Targaryen.
- Lord Eddard Stark, Hand of the King, declared Protector of the Realm along with Regent by the dying Robert Baratheon.
- Queen Cersei Lannister, Queen Regent for Joffrey and Tommen Baratheon.
- Ser Kevan Lannister, Lord Regent for Tommen Baratheon.