Standard of the Kingsguard, a crown surrounded by seven white swords.
|Allegiance||Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men|
|Current Leader||Lord Commander Barristan Selmy|
Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen|
Queen Daenerys Targaryen
|Founded||129 AC (to guard Queen Rhaenyra)|
|Disbanded||130 AC (upon Rhaenyra's death)|
|Reorganized||298 AC (to guard Queen Daenerys)|
The Queensguard is another term for the Kingsguard, titled such when they serve as royal bodyguards for a Queen Regnant rather than a king. Supposedly the finest knights in the Seven Kingdoms, they are sworn to protect their queen and the royal family with their own lives, to obey her commands, and to keep her secrets.
Historically composed of seven knights sworn to a lifetime of service, members are to serve unto death despite age or any physical or mental ailments, with an invalid member's duties being taken up by his sworn brothers. During his time as a member of the Queensguard, a member is not allowed to hold lands, sire children, marry, or have any worldly allegiance except to his monarch. All members of the Queensguard are traditionally sworn knights.
Although Queen Alysanne Targaryen appointed Jonquil Darke as her sworn shield after an assassination attempt, the first known implementation of the Queensguard was founded by Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen, as an elite bodyguard for her and her family during the Targaryen civil war known as the Dance of the Dragons.
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
A Dance with Dragons
Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen (129 AC-130 AC)
The Kingsguard of King Viserys I Targaryen split during the succession war that broke out upon his death, known as the Dance of the Dragons. Four of them sided with Rhaenyra's half-brother Aegon II (including Lord Commander Ser Criston Cole), but the other three defected to Rhaenyra, forming the core of her new Queensguard: Ser Steffon, Ser Lorent, and Ser Erryk.
- Ser Steffon Darklyn, first Lord Commander, died in an attempt to tame a dragon.
- Ser Lorent Marbrand, second Lord Commander, died in the Riot of King's Landing.
- Ser Glendon Goode, third Lord Commander; Lord Commander for a day, he died in the Storming of the Dragonpit.
- Ser Erryk Cargyll, died in an attempt by the greens to infiltrate Dragonstone, killed by his twin Arryk.
- Ser Lyonel Bentley, died after protecting Rhaenyra on the road during their escape from King's Landing.
- Ser Harrold Darke, died when attacked by Aegon II's men at Dragonstone.
- Ser Adrian Redfort, died when attacked by Aegon II's men at Dragonstone.
- Ser Loreth Lansdale, died when attacked by Aegon II's men at Dragonstone.
Queen Daenerys Targaryen (298 AC-present)
- Ser Jorah Mormont, former Lord Commander, banished by Queen Daenerys for treason.
- Ser Barristan Selmy, current Lord Commander and Queen's Hand.
- Aggo, ko and bloodrider to Daenerys.
- Jhogo, ko and bloodrider to Daenerys.
- Rakharo, ko and bloodrider to Daenerys.
- Strong Belwas, a eunuch and former pit fighter sent to Daenerys by Illyrio Mopatis.
Only Ser Loreth Lansdale moved quickly enough to strike a blow in the queen's defense, cutting down the first two men who came at him before being slain himself. With him died the last of the Queensguard.—writings of Gyldayn
You are the first of my Queensguard.
If the queen had commanded me to protect Hizdahr, I would have had no choice but to obey. But Daenerys Targaryen had never established a proper Queensguard even for herself nor issued any commands in respect to her consort.—thoughts of Barristan Selmy
—thoughts of Daenerys Targaryen
- The Winds of Winter, Barristan I
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 8, Bran II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 57, Sansa V.
- So Spake Martin: The Kingsguard (May 22, 1999)
- Fire & Blood, Birth, Death, and Betrayal Under King Jaehaerys I.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 72, Daenerys X.
- A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 2, Daenerys I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 52, Daenerys IX.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 55, The Queensguard.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 71, Daenerys VI.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 63, Daenerys V.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Overthrown.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 71, Daenerys X.