Standard of the Kingsguard, a crown surrounded by seven white swords.
|Allegiance||Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men|
|Current Leader||Lord Commander Barristan Selmy|
Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen|
Queen Daenerys Targaryen
|Founded||129 AC (to guard Queen Rhaenyra)|
|Disbanded||130 AC (upon Rhaenyra's death)|
|Reorganized||298 AC (to guard Queen Daenerys)|
The Queensguard is another term for the Kingsguard, titled such when they serve as royal bodyguards for a Queen Regnant rather than a king. Supposedly the finest knights in the Seven Kingdoms, they are sworn to protect their queen and the royal family with their own lives, to obey her commands, and to keep her secrets. They are sworn for life, and are forbidden from owning land, taking a wife, or fathering children. There have been only two known instances in the history of A Song of Ice and Fire that a Queensguard has been implemented: the first under Rhaenyra Targaryen during the Dance of the Dragons civil war, and more recently under Daenerys Targaryen after the death of her husband, Khal Drogo.
Although Queen Alysanne Targaryen appointed Jonquil Darke as her sworn shield after an assassination attempt, the first known implementation of the Queensguard was founded by Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen, as an elite bodyguard for her and her family during the Targaryen civil war known as the Dance of the Dragons. Daenerys Targaryen established her own Queensguard following the death of her husband Khal Drogo, when she declared herself Queen of Westeros.
Historically composed of seven knights sworn to a lifetime of service, members are to serve unto death despite age or any physical or mental ailments, with an invalid member's duties being taken up by his sworn brothers. During his time as a member of the Queensguard, a member is not allowed to hold lands, sire children, marry, or have any worldly allegiance except to his monarch. All members of the Queensguard are traditionally sworn knights, although this is currently not the case under Daenerys.
Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen (129 AC-130 AC)
The Kingsguard of King Viserys I Targaryen split during the succession war that broke out upon his death, known as the Dance of the Dragons. Four of them sided with Rhaenyra's half-brother Aegon II (including Lord Commander Ser Criston Cole), but the other three defected to Rhaenyra, forming the core of her new Queensguard: Ser Steffon, Ser Lorent, and Ser Erryk.
- Ser Steffon Darklyn, first Lord Commander, died in an attempt to tame a dragon.
- Ser Lorent Marbrand, second Lord Commander, died in the Riot of King's Landing.
- Ser Glendon Goode, third Lord Commander; Lord Commander for a day, he died in the Storming of the Dragonpit.
- Ser Erryk Cargyll, died in an attempt by the greens to infiltrate Dragonstone, killed by his twin Arryk.
- Ser Lyonel Bentley, died after protecting Rhaenyra on the road during their escape from King's Landing.
- Ser Harrold Darke, died when attacked by Aegon II's men at Dragonstone.
- Ser Adrian Redfort, died when attacked by Aegon II's men at Dragonstone.
- Ser Loreth Lansdale, died when attacked by Aegon II's men at Dragonstone.
Queen Daenerys Targaryen (298 AC-present)
- Ser Jorah Mormont, former Lord Commander, banished by Queen Daenerys for treason.
- Ser Barristan Selmy, current Lord Commander and Queen's Hand.
- Aggo, ko and bloodrider to Daenerys.
- Jhogo, ko and bloodrider to Daenerys.
- Rakharo, ko and bloodrider to Daenerys.
- Strong Belwas, a eunuch and former pit fighter sent to Daenerys by Illyrio Mopatis.
You are the first of my Queensguard.
—thoughts of Daenerys Targaryen
If the queen had commanded me to protect Hizdahr, I would have had no choice but to obey. But Daenerys Targaryen had never established a proper Queensguard even for herself nor issued any commands in respect to her consort.—thoughts of Barristan Selmy
- The Winds of Winter, Barristan I
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 6, Catelyn II.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- Fire & Blood, Birth, Death, and Betrayal Under King Jaehaerys I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 72, Daenerys X.
- So Spake Martin: The Kingsguard (May 22, 1999)
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 55, The Queensguard.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon II.
- A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 71, Daenerys VI.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 2, Daenerys I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 63, Daenerys V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 71, Daenerys X.