The Shadow Tower is one of three castles along the Wall that are still inhabited by the Night's Watch. It is located next to the northern mountains at the western end of the Wall. It lies west of Sentinel Stand and east of Westwatch-by-the-Bridge, both abandoned castles.
The commander of the Shadow Tower is Ser Denys Mallister, and its maester is Mullin. Two hundred men of the Watch are stationed at the Shadow Tower. Most wear leather and fur, although some are armored with bronze or steel. Some are armed with longaxes and eight-foot spears. Free folk sometimes descend into the Gorge to bypass the Shadow Tower.
Redwyn, a ranger who lived during the reign of King Dorren Stark, wrote an account of a ranging from the Shadow Tower to Lorn Point on the Frozen Shore. During that ranging, they fought giants and traded with the children of the forest.
Ser Denys Mallister has commanded the Shadow Tower since 267 AC. Mance Rayder served at the Shadow Tower before he abandoned the Night's Watch. Mance's black cloak was torn when he was attacked by shadowcat during a ranging beyond the Wall, and mended with red silk by a free folk woman. When Mance returned to the Shadow Tower, and Denys ordered him to wear an all-black cloak instead, Mance deserted the next morning.
A cook at the Shadow Tower had raped dozens of septas, before he was caught and was sent to the Night's Watch for his crimes. He burned a seven-pointed star into his flesh for each one. His left arm is stars from wrist to elbow, and stars mark his calves as well.
A Game of Thrones
Qhorin Halfhand ventures forth from the castle in search of Benjen Stark, but is unable to find the First Ranger. Ser Endrew Tarth travels from the Shadow Tower to become the new master-at-arms at Castle Black, after Ser Alliser Thorne leaves for King's Landing.
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
Maester Aemon sends ravens to Eastwatch-by-the-Sea and the Shadow Tower to warn of Thenns. Men from the Shadow Tower make up the bulk of the Night's Watch who fight at the Bridge of Skulls. Maester Mullin treats Bowen Marsh after the battle. Denys, Bowen, and other men from the Shadow Tower ride toward Castle Black, picking up Samwell Tarly and Gilly en route.
A Dance with Dragons
Denys sends regular ravens to Castle Black requesting additional men for the Shadow Tower. Lord Commander Jon Snow re-assigns Halder and Toad to meet his demands, as well as ten untrained men from Mole's Town.
The garrison of the Shadow Tower spot multiple fires in the night north of the Gorge. Denys believes wildlings are amassing to force the Bridge of Skulls once more. When free folk are allowed to cross the Wall at Castle Black, sixty hostages are sent to the Shadow Tower and Eastwatch.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 19, Jon III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Map of Beyond the Wall
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 21, Tyrion III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 43, Jon V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 18, Samwell I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 30, Jon IV.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 6, Jon I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Dawn Age.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 78, Samwell V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 7, Jon I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 26, Jon III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 39, Jon VIII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 70, Jon IX.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 26, Jon IV.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 60, Jon VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Prologue.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 69, Jon IX.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 75, Samwell IV.
- A Dance with Dragons, Prologue.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 10, Jon III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 21, Jon V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 28, Jon VI.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 31, Melisandre I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 69, Jon XIII.