A sworn shield is a warrior who makes an oath to protect an individual, essentially serving as their personal bodyguard. They are usually, but not always knights. The Kingsguard are a specialized and most prestigious type of sworn shield, sworn to the king of Westeros. However, an individual Kingsguard may be appointed the sworn shield of another member of the royal family, and a non-Kingsguard may also serve as the king's sworn shield.
Some sworn shields
- Orys Baratheon, for Lord Aegon Targaryen
- Jonquil Darke, for Queen Alysanne Targaryen
- Ser Criston Cole, for Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, later Queen Alicent Hightower
- Ser Harwin Strong, for Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen
- Ser Erryk Cargyll, for Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen
- Ser Duncan the Tall, for Prince Aegon Targaryen
- Sandor Clegane, for Prince Joffrey Baratheon
- Ser Arys Oakheart, for Princess Myrcella Baratheon
- Ser Gascoyne of the Greenblood, for Prince Trystane Martell
- Ser Osney Kettleblack, for King Tommen Baratheon
- Ser Gerris Drinkwater and Ser Archibald Yronwood, for Prince Quentyn Martell
- Ser Daemon Sand, for Princess Arianne Martell
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 31, Catelyn III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 20, Tyrion V.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Viserys I.
- The Rogue Prince.
- Fire & Blood, Birth, Death, and Betrayal Under King Jaehaerys I.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 24, Cersei V.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Stormlands: House Baratheon.
- The Mystery Knight.