King Robert I Baratheon is the first king of the Seven Kingdoms from the Baratheon dynasty. As the heir to Storm's End, Robert was send to the Vale to be fostered by Lord Jon Arryn. There, he grew close to his foster brother, Eddard Stark, and came to regard Arryn as his second father. Robert inherited Storm's End in 278 AC, after his parents drowned in Shipbreaker Bay. He arranged a betrothal to Eddard's sister, Lyanna Stark, having fallen in love with her beauty. During the tourney at Harrenhal in 281 AC, Robert felt insulted when his cousin, Crown Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, crowned Lyanna as his queen of love and beauty after winning the joust, passing over his own wife to do so. Matters grew worse a year later, when Rhaegar apparently kidnapped Lyanna. King Aerys II Targaryen ordered the heads of Robert and Eddard, following the brutal executions of Eddard's older brother and father. The two young men were in the Vale, where Jon Arryn refused to give them up, rising in rebellion instead. Robert became one of the figureheads in the war that followed, and towards its end proclaimed his intent to claim the Iron Throne. Following Aerys' death during the fall of King's Landing, Lord Robert Baratheon of Storm's End ascended the throne as King Robert I Baratheon.
Following Lyanna’s death in the aftermath of the war, Robert married Cersei Lannister, ensuring the future support of House Lannister. Their marriage was not a happy one, however. Robert remained in love with Lyanna, even years after her death, and insulted his wife by whispering "Lyanna" to her during their wedding night, setting the tone for their further marriage. Over the course of his reign, the young, handsome, powerful, muscled warrior changed into a fat, red-faced drunk with dark circles underneath his eyes. Leaving the task of ruling his kingdom mostly to his small council, Robert spend his time hunting, hawking, feasting, drinking, and whoring. He already had fathered two bastards before he became king, but his frequent whoring resulted in the births of many more. Read more...
- "He named you Protector of the Realm." – Renly Baratheon
"He did." – Eddard Stark
"She wont care. Give me an hour and I could put a hundred swords at your command." – Renly Baratheon
"And what should I do with a hundred swords?" – Eddard Stark
"Strike! Tonight, while the castle sleeps. We must get Joffrey away from his mother and into our custody. Protector of the Realm or no, he who holds the king holds the kingdom. Every moment you delay gives Cersei another moment to prepare. By the time Robert dies it will be too late for the both of us." – Renly Baratheon 
- “The gall of them, fighting back!” – Tyrion Lannister 
- "A girl should be bloody too. This is her work." – Jaqen H'ghar to Arya Stark at the battle inside Harrenhal 
Did you know...
- The dwarf siblings Penny and Oppo make their living as entertainers who ride atop a pig (Pretty Pig) and a dog (Crunch) while mock fighting each other as Groat and Penny after the two smallest coins?
- ↑ Game of Thrones - Season 1, You Win or You Die
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 56, Tyrion VII.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 47, Arya IX.
- ↑ So Spake Martin: The Three Stooges (March 10, 2006)
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 40, Tyrion IX.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon III.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon IV.
About the Wiki
Ten sister Wikis in Other Languages
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.