House Velaryon is an ancient and proud house of Valyrian origin. The Velaryons left Valyria before the Targaryens did, and settled on Driftmark in the narrow sea, where a seat by the same name was constructed. They filled their coffers from trade in the narrow sea and Blackwater Bay, and ruled the middle reaches of the narrow sea together with their allies of House Celtigar, while House Targaryen supported them with their dragons.
The Velaryons and Targaryens frequently intermarried, and so the Velaryons gained a prominent place at the Targaryen court. Lord Daemon Velaryon became the first master of ships during Aegon's Conquest, and so many Velaryon's followed him in that office that at times the office seemed hereditary. The house counts several prominent members. Lady Alyssa Velaryon became the wife and queen of King Aenys I Targaryen, and ruled as regent for her son, Jaehaerys I, during his minority. Lord Corlys Velaryon, also known as the Sea Snake, gained wealth and fame by making nine great voyages by ship. He used his wealth to build a new seat, High Tide, replacing the damp castle Driftmark. During the Dance of the Dragons, Corlys gave support to Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen, his former daughter-in-law, and played an important role in war's end. His bastardborn grandson – or son, depending on the source – Alyn Velaryon, inherited the rule of High Tide and rose to fame when he was victorious in the Stepstones, earning the name "Oakenfist". Together with King Daeron I Targaryen, his cousin, he planned the an attack on Dorne, and played an important role in the conquest that followed. Read more…
- "No man is free. Only children and fools think elsewise." – Tywin Lannister 
- "If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die." – Eddard Stark to Bran 
- "We'll never find that one, and I'll be blamed. Nothing ever goes missing that they don't look at me, ever since that time I lost my horse. As if that could be helped. He was white and it was snowing, what did they expect?" – Dolorous Edd 
Did you know...
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 1, Bran I, 13.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Prologue.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 52, Jon VII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Prologue.
- ↑ 92nd Street Y: Game of Thrones Mastermind George R. R. Martin: The World of Ice and Fire (Oct 26, 2014)
- ↑ Not a Blog: It's in the Pits (Jan 21, 2013)
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Riverlands: The Lords of Harrenhal.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 57, Sansa V.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 65, Sansa VIII.
About the Wiki
Ten sister Wikis in Other Languages
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.