The year started with a great gathering of lords in King's Landing to name new regents and a Hand of the King. The four men chosen served for the remainder of King Aegon III's minority. The day Aegon turned sixteen, he entered into the small council chamber and dismissed them all.
- Alyn Velaryon and Benjicot Blackwood's forces prevail and all the Vale accepts Joffrey Arryn as their Lord.
- The trials for the eighteen arrested suspects of poisoning and treason are held, spanning across thirty-three days.
- Ser Gareth Long and Lord George Graceford are condemned to die, although they are allowed to take the black instead.
- Septon Bernard is gelded and condemned to walk barefoot from King's Landing to Oldtown with his manhood hung about his neck.
- Ser Victor Risley demanded trial by battle and died.
- Lucinda Penrose and Priscella Hogg are condemned to either have their noses cut off or give themselves to the Faith.
- Cassandra Baratheon is married off to Ser Walter Brownhill, a minor knight on Cape Wrath.
- Alyn Velaryon departs on his second voyage, on a galley named Bold Marilda.
- Prince Aemon Targaryen, second son of Prince Viserys Targaryen and Lady Larra Rogare, on the eve of Smith's Day.
Titles and appointments
- Willam Stackspear, Marq Merryweather, and Lorent Grandison are chosen by lot as regents.
- Lord Torrhen Manderly is chosen as the new Hand of the King.
- Isembard Arryn is named master of coin.
- Gedmund Peake is named master of ships.
- Ser Raynard Ruskyn is promoted to Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.
- Ser Adrian Thorne is promoted to commander of the City Watch of King's Landing.
- Ser Edmund Warrick, Ser Dennis Whitfield, and Ser Agramore Cobb are named to the Kingsguard.
- Ser Lucas Lothston is named master-at-arms of the Red Keep.
- Maester Rowley is named Lord Confessor.
- On King Aegon III's sixteenth nameday, the regency ends. All regents and the Hand of the King are dismissed.