A Game of Thrones: Genesis
|A Game of Thrones: Genesis|
|Publisher(s)||Focus Home Interactive|
|Release date(s)||September 29, 2011|
|Language||English, French, German|
A Game of Thrones: Genesis is a strategy video game by Cyanide. The game is an adaptation of the A Song of Ice and Fire book series by George R. R. Martin and is the first such video game adaptation. A Game of Thrones: Genesis was published by Focus Home Interactive on PC. The game was released on September 29, 2011.
The game takes place over 1,000 years of the fictional history of Westeros, beginning with the arrival of the Rhoynar led by the warrior-queen Nymeria and ending with the defense of the Wall from the wildling assault.
The game can begin with the beginning of A Game of Thrones and ends when someone wins the Iron Throne. The goal of the game is to win the Iron Throne and doing so can be done by amassing enough 'prestige' within the game. Prestige is accumulated through various means. There are a number of titles that earn an ongoing prestige boost; most allies, highest income, most enemies killed and control of a sept. Further, there are a number of unique challenges, for example "Assassinate an enemy Heir", issued to each player which when achieved reward prestige points. During the game, the only building a player controls is the Feudal Home. Through alliances other towns and castles can be won over, but they are at constant risk of being stolen, whether by diplomacy or secret alliances.
Each house has special units and abilities.
The Playable Houses included in the game are:
- House Targaryen Special Unit: Raven
- House Stark Special Unit: Direwolf
- House Tully Special Unit: Singer
- House Arryn Special Unit: Thief
- House Tyrell Special Unit: Maester
- House Baratheon Special Unit: Captain of the Guards
- House Martell Special Unit: Dornishman
- House Lannister Special Unit: Mole
The game has two modes of play: House vs House (Versus) and Campaign. The game features four main facets: diplomacy, military, economic, and underhand.
- ↑ Remo, Chris (2010-07-16). "Cyanide Creating A Video Game Of Thrones RTS, RPG Based On Fantasy Series". Gamasutra. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29482/Cyanide_Creating_A_Video_Game_Of_Thrones_RTS_RPG_Based_On_Fantasy_Series.php. Retrieved 2011-02-15.
- ↑ "The Next Big Thing Introduces Liz Allaire with New Video and Screens!". Gamasutra. 2011-02-09. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/68512/The_Next_Big_Thing_Introduces_Liz_Allaire_with_New_Video_andScreens.php. Retrieved 2011-02-15.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Poeter, Damon. "Game of Thrones the Video Game Hits This Summer". PC Magazine. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388482,00.asp. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- ↑ Steam. "A Game of Thrones: Genesis Manual". Cyanide Studios. http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/58550/AGOT_MANUAL_EN.pdf?t=1318539282/. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- ↑ McCormick, Rich. "A Game of Thrones: Genesis preview". PC Gamer. http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/22/a-game-of-thrones-genesis-preview/. Retrieved 17 July 2011.