|Spouse(s)||King Aerys I Targaryen|
The World of Ice & Fire (mentioned)|
The Sworn Sword (mentioned)
Aelinor was married to her cousin, Prince Aerys Targaryen. He never showed any interest in getting her with child, instead shunning her bed. Rumor had it that Aerys never even consummated the marriage. When Aerys ascended to the throne as King Aerys I, his small council urged the king to put Aelinor aside and marry another, hoping that Aerys's behavior was caused by dislike of her. However, King Aerys would not listen, and so Aelinor remained his wife.
During the reign of Aerys I, it was said that Queen Aelinor would pray at the Great Sept of Baelor daily, beseeching the Mother Above to bless her with a child. Aelinor and Aerys had no children.
A Clash of Kings
Jeor Mormont, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, briefly mentions the queen of Aerys I in a conversation with Jon Snow about the lineage of Maester Aemon. Jeor mistakenly believes Aelinor was Aerys's sister, per the traditions of Targaryen incest.
Aelinor was a cousin of her husband, Aerys, and while it is currently unknown how exactly Aelinor and Aerys are related, it is known that Aelinor does not descend from Princess Elaena Targaryen and her husband Ronnel Penrose.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Aelinor Targaryen.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Appendix: Targaryen Lineage.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aerys I.
- The Sworn Sword.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 6, Jon I.
- A Forum of Ice and Fire: [TWOIAF Spoilers] Inconsistency or Intentional? (October 28, 2014)
- A Forum of Ice and Fire: [TWOIAF Spoilers] Inconsistency or Intentional? (November 4, 2014).