Fist of the First Men
|Fist of the First Men|
|Ruins of an ancient ringfort|
Map - Click to zoom
|Location||Westeros, Beyond the Wall|
|Named for||The First Men who built it|
The Fist of the First Men is a hill found beyond the Wall in the haunted forest.
The Fist was built by the First Men in the Dawn Age. Some of its stone ringwall still remains.
The Fist is located next to the Milkwater, surrounded by the haunted forest. The hill offers commanding views, with the slopes at a dangerous angle to the north and west, and only slightly less dangerous to east. There is a ringwall of chest-high grey stone that crowns the top of the steep, stony hill. At the foot of the hill there is a brook.
A Clash of Kings
The Night's Watch make their camp here while searching for the wildling masses during the great ranging. From here they hoped to stop any march on the Wall. The site is in poor repair. Breaches in the low ringwall are filled in with timber and protected with rows of stakes by the Watch, and the slopes are booby-trapped with caltrops.
A Storm of Swords
In spite of the Watch's best efforts to mount a defense, they are attacked and easily swept by wights during the fight at the Fist.
In the aftermath of the battle, Jon Snow and Mance Rayder discover the bodies of at least a hundred horses, but none of men.
An old place, and strong.
Chapters that take place at the Fist
- A Clash of Kings: 34. Jon IV
- A Clash of Kings: 43. Jon V
- A Storm of Swords: Prologue
- A Storm of Swords: 15. Jon II
- A Storm of Swords: 18. Sam I
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 34, Jon IV.
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Prologue.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 18, Samwell I.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 15, Jon II.