Florian the Fool
|Alias(es)||Florian the Fool|
The World of Ice & Fire (mentioned)|
Fire & Blood (mentioned)
The Hedge Knight (mentioned)
A Game of Thrones (mentioned)
A Clash of Kings (mentioned)
A Storm of Swords (mentioned)
A Feast for Crows (mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (mentioned)
Florian was a great fool and a great knight. He is described in tales of the First Men as a knight, although true knighthood only came to Westeros with the coming of the Andals. Scholars doubt the existence of Florian and his peers.
According to legend, Florian was homely, wore “a suit of iron motley,” and was not of noble birth. He bore a famous sword. Florian first spied Jonquil and her sisters bathing in a pool that is located in the town of Maidenpool.
While playing as children at Winterfell, Jon Snow and Robb Stark would pretend to be Prince Aemon the Dragonknight and Florian the Fool. Songs about Florian and Jonquil are favorites of Sansa Stark. Brienne of Tarth learned about Florian and other heroes from her nurse.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
During the Battle of the Blackwater, a harper sings beautiful, sad songs, including one about Florian, in the Queen's Ballroom at the Red Keep. Sandor demands the unnamed song about Florian and Jonquil when he visits Sansa's chamber, but Sansa sings him the Mother's hymn instead.
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
Early on in her quest to find Sansa, Brienne of Tarth remembers that when she was a child her nurse had filled her ears with tales of valor, regaling her with the noble exploits of many champions, among them Florian the Fool.
A Dance with Dragons
Jonquil: You are no knight, I know you. You are Florian the Fool.
Florian: I am, my lady, As great a fool as ever lived, and as great a knight as well.Florian: Sweet lady, all men are fools, and all men are knights, where women are concerned.
Jonquil: A fool and a knight? I have never heard of such a thing.
Sweet lady, I would be your Florian.
Sandor: I never got my song.
Sansa: I ... I know a song about Florian and Jonquil.Sansa: I will sing it for you gladly.
Sandor: Florian and Jonquil? A fool and his cunt. Spare me. But one day I'll have a song from you, whether you will it or no.
Behind the Scenes
A tribute to Florian and Jonquil is the fan-made song "Jonquill & Florian" by The Starlings.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Riverlands.
- Fire & Blood, A Surfeit of Rulers.
- The Hedge Knight.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: Andals in the Reach.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 18, Sansa II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Bad reference param2.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 4, Brienne I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 21, Jaime III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 79, Jon XII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 51, Sansa IV.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 60, Sansa VI.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 62, Sansa VII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 55, Jon VII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 10, Sansa I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 40, Tyrion IX.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 66, Bran VII.