Horn Hill by Logan Feliciano © Fantasy Flight Games
|Government||House Tarly, feudal lord|
|Ruler||Lord Randyll Tarly|
|Religion||Faith of the Seven|
|Founded||Age of Heroes by Herndon of the Horn and Harlon the Hunter|
Horn Hill is the seat of House Tarly in the Reach. Located on an eponymous hill, the castle lies south of Highgarden and a hundred leagues northeast of Oldtown among the thickly-wooded foothills of the Red Mountains. The Tarlys are marcher lords of the Dornish Marches.
Horn Hill has a sept within its walls. According to Samwell Tarly, those walls are less formidable than the city walls of Oldtown. A pond lies below the castle. The woods around Horn Hill are teeming with game. The Tarlys employ huntsmen and hounds during their hunts.
According to legend, the castle was built on Horn Hill by the brothers Harlon the Hunter and Herndon of the Horn, twin sons of Garth Greenhand. In the Age of the Hundred Kingdoms, before the Reach was united under the Kings of the Reach, the kingdom of the western marches extended from Horn Hill to Nightsong.
King Aegon I Targaryen visited Horn Hill during his reign.
The Vulture King led one of his Dornish hosts to attack Nightsong and Horn Hill, but he was defeated in the Vulture Hunt.
House Tarly hosted King Jaehaerys I Targaryen and Queen Alysanne Targaryen at Horn Hill in 54 AC.
Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen made a tour of the Riverlands, the Westerlands and the Reach in 112 AC which included a stop at Horn Hill.
Two warlocks from Qarth sacrificed a bull aurochs at Horn Hill and had young Samwell Tarly bathe in its blood. When the act did not make his son stronger, Lord Randyll Tarly had the warlocks scourged. Samwell rode a mare from Horn Hill to the Wall to join the Night's Watch.
A Clash of Kings
Renly Baratheon is camped at Horn Hill when Lord Randyll Tarly receives Stannis Baratheon's letter claiming that the children of the late King Robert I Baratheon are bastards.
A Feast for Crows
Samwell Tarly intends to send Gilly and the infant wildling prince from Oldtown to live at Horn Hill with his mother, Melessa Florent.
Jon: Do you dream of Horn Hill?
Samwell: No. I hated it there.—Jon Snow and Samwell Tarly
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: Garth Greenhand.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 45, Samwell V.
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire, Westeros.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aenys I.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 15, Samwell II.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 46, Samwell III.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Three Heads Had the Dragon - Governance Under King Aegon I.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Birth, Death, and Betrayal Under King Jaehaerys I.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Heirs of the Dragon - A Question of Succession.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 26, Jon IV.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 5, Samwell I.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 31, Catelyn III.