King of the Isles and the North
King of the Isles and the North, alternatively King of the Iron Islands and the North, is a title claimed by some members of House Greyjoy.
A Clash of Kings
Rejecting the authority of the Iron Throne, Lord Balon Greyjoy declares himself King of the Iron Islands. Since Robb Stark, the King in the North, is fighting south of the Neck, the ironborn invade the North during the War of the Five Kings. Balon claims the region by right of conquest and styles himself King of the Isles and the North.
A Storm of Swords
Balon styles himself King of the Iron Islands and the North, King of Salt and Rock, Son of the Sea Wind, and Lord Reaper of Pyke. He dies after falling from Pyke, however.
A Feast for Crows
Most of the ironborn withdraw from the North to attend a kingsmoot on Old Wyk to choose Balon's successor. His brother Euron Greyjoy is chosen after announcing he intends to conquer all of Westeros.
A Dance with Dragons
Euron styles himself King of the Isles and the North, although the northmen recover Deepwood Motte and Moat Cailin and the ironborn control only Torrhen's Square in the North. He has not altered his title, so far, despite having conquered the Shield Islands in the Sunset Sea.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 49, Tyrion XI.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 11, Theon I.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 46, Bran VI.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 19, The Drowned Man.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.