Knight of the Gate
Knight of the Gate or Knight of the Bloody Gate is the title held by the commander of the Bloody Gate, a stronghold located in the Mountains of the Moon to guard entry to the Vale of Arryn. Like the Keeper of the Gates of the Moon, the title is not hereditary and is chosen by the Lord of the Eyrie.
The Knight of the Gate traditionally asks the question, "Who would pass the Bloody Gate?" to all who would pass through. The current Knight of the Gate, Ser Brynden Tully, wears heavy plate and helm.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
Known Knights of the Gate
- Ser Joffrey Arryn, who later became Lord of the Eyrie after the death of Lady Jeyne Arryn.
- Ser Brynden Tully, known as "the Blackfish."
- Ser Donnel Waynwood.
I asked your sister for leave to take a thousand seasoned men and ride for Riverrun with all haste. Do you know what she told me? 'The Vale cannot spare a thousand swords, nor even one, Uncle', she said. 'You are the Knight of the Gate. Your place is here.' Well, I told her she could bloody well find herself a new Knight of the Gate. Black fish or no, I am still a Tully. I shall leave for Riverrun by evenfall.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 2, Catelyn I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 10, Sansa I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 34, Catelyn VI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 59, Catelyn IX.
- Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 40, Catelyn VII.
- A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 41, Alayne II.