The Last River's headwaters are a number of streams in the northern mountains. It flows east past the kingsroad and through the Umber forest containing Last Hearth. The river then continues southeast between the Dreadfort and Karhold to the Shivering Sea. There is ice fishing on the northern rivers.
A Clash of Kings
A Dance with Dragons
When Stannis Baratheon considers marching from Castle Black to the Dreadfort, Jon Snow warns him that Umbers led by Mors would cut his host to pieces when Stannis travels past the Last River and the Lonely Hills. Stannis instead travels west to the northern mountain clans and Deepwood Motte.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Last River.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 16, Bran II.
- The Lands of Ice and Fire, Westeros.
- So Spake Martin: The Effects of Winter, June 21, 2001
- The World of Ice & Fire, The North: The Kings of Winter.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 56, Theon V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 17, Jon IV.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 26, The Wayward Bride.