|Born||In or before 27 AC|
|Died||In 41–48 AC|
Martyn Hightower was Lord of the Hightower and head of House Hightower at the beginning of the reign of King Maegor I Targaryen. He was the brother of Queen Ceryse Hightower, one of Maegor's wives.
Martyn inherited the Hightower in 41 AC, following the death of his father, Lord Manfred Hightower.
In 43 AC[N 1] when King Maegor, Queen Dowager Visenya, their dragons, and the royal army made their way to Oldtown during the Faith Militant uprising, Lord Martyn called his banners with a fire atop the Hightower. By the morning of their arrival, however, the city gates were open, and the banners of Houses Targaryen, Tyrell, and Hightower flew atop the city walls. After word of the sudden death of the High Septon reached him, Martyn at once dispatched his own knights to arrest and disarm all of the Warrior's Sons, including his brother Ser Morgan. Martyn sent his men to rouse the Most Devout from their beds and march them at spearpoint to the Starry Sept to choose a new High Septon.
Through unspecified circumstances, by the end of Maegor's reign, Martyn died and was succeeded by Lord Donnel Hightower, whose relationship to Martyn has not been specified.
Behind the Scenes
In earlier prints of The World of Ice & Fire Martyn was stated to be the father of Ceryse Hightower. However, the novella The Sons of the Dragon called him the brother of Ceryse, and the most recently published Fire & Blood confirmed that Martyn was indeed the brother of Ceryse, establishing Lord Manfrey Hightower as their father.
- ↑ Earlier prints of The World of Ice & Fire erroneously state that this event and the death of the High Septon took place in 44 AC (The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: Oldtown). The Sons of the Dragon gives the correct date of 43 AC. The High Septon elected as a replacement dies a year later, in 44 AC.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 See the Martyn Hightower calculation.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Maegor I.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Prince into King - The Ascension of Jaehaerys I.
- ↑ The Sons of the Dragon.