A motherhouse is a monastic community of the Faith of the Seven for septas, silent sisters, and novices similar to a convent. The leader of the community bears the title of Mother. A similar community for men is called a septry.
Humfrey I Teague, King of the Rivers and the Hills, founded septs and motherhouses in the riverlands in his efforts to stamp out worship of the old gods. Merle I Gardener, King of the Reach, encouraged construction of septries, septs and motherhouses in the Reach.
Princess Rhaella Targaryen was a novice at the motherhouse attached the Starry Sept in Oldtown. Septa Karolyn prevented Ser Orryn Baratheon from absconding with the girl.
Queen Elinor Costayne gave up all claims to nobility later in life, becoming Mother Elinor at the great motherhouse in Lannisport.
In 54 AC Queen Alysanne Targaryen was hosted by silent sisters at their motherhouse in Oldtown for a day of prayer and contemplation.
Maegelle Targaryen was a pious princess who became a septa. Her sister Saera, however, ran away from the Oldtown motherhouse in 85 AC while still a novice.
During the Dance of the Dragons, Prince Aemond Targaryen used Vhagar to destroy the motherhouse at Bechester.
Lady Jeyne Arryn died at the Motherhouse of Maris in Gulltown in 134 AC.
The journey of King Baelor I Targaryen to Dorne is remembered in songs popularized by septries and motherhouses.
A Storm of Swords
The great-aunt of Lady Ravella Smallwood is a septa at a motherhouse in Oldtown. Ravella sends her daughter, Carellen Smallwood, to the city for safety during the War of the Five Kings.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 22, Arya IV.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Fire & Blood, Birth, Death, and Betrayal Under King Jaehaerys I.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Fire & Blood, A Surfeit of Rulers.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Riverlands.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: Andals in the Reach.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, A Time of Testing - The Realm Remade.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys I.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Triumphant.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Baelor I.