Red Lake is the seat of House Crane in the Reach. The castle is located on the northeastern shore of a lake of the same name in the northwest of the Reach, near the region's border with the westerlands. Red Lake is northwest of Goldengrove, northeast of Old Oak, and southeast of Cornfield.
According to legend, Rose of Red Lake was a daughter of Garth Greenhand and the founder of House Crane. Brandon of the Bloody Blade, one of Garth's sons, is said to have slain so many children of the forest that what had been called Blue Lake was renamed Red Lake because of their blood.
Red Lake was part of the Reach proper of old. The lake was added to the Kingdom of the Reach by Garth III Gardener through pacts of friendship and mutual defense.
Lancel IV Lannister, King of the Rock, was killed in battle at Red Lake by Ser Wilbert Osgrey, Marshall of the Northmarch.
Following Second Tumbleton in the Dance of the Dragons, Silverwing became wild and the dragon made a lair on a small, stony isle in the lake. When arranging a royal progress for King Aegon III Targaryen after the war, Lord Torrhen Manderly planned for the dragon-hating king to avoid Red Lake.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach.
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: Garth Greenhand.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: The Gardener Kings.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Westerlands.
- ↑ The Sworn Sword.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Short, Sad Reign of Aegon II.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon II.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.