|Title(s)||Lord of Raventree Hall|
|Born||In or before 107 AC|
|Died||In 129 AC, at the Burning Mill|
The World of Ice & Fire (mentioned)|
Fire & Blood (mentioned)
The Princess and the Queen (mentioned)
Dance of the Dragons
When the Dance of the Dragons began in 129 AC, Samwell declared for Queen Rhaenyra and raised her banners over Raventree Hall following the assault on Harrenhal. Lord Blackwood sent raiders to attack the lands of House Bracken, who had declared for King Aegon II Targaryen and the greens. The Blackwoods burned crops, drove off sheep and cattle, sacked villages, and despoiled every sept they came across. When the Brackens gathered a strong force to strike back, Samwell ambushed their host on the march, taking them unaware as they camped beneath a riverside mill. In the resulting Battle of the Burning Mill, Samwell was cut down and slain by Ser Amos in single combat, but Amos was then struck down by a weirwood arrow allegedly fired by Samwell's young sister, Black Aly.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- See the Samwell Blackwood calculation.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- Fire & Blood, Aftermath - The Hour of the Wolf.
- Fire & Blood, Heirs of the Dragon - A Question of Succession.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Viserys I.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - A Son for a Son.