A swan ship is a large ocean-going vessel designed and built in the Summer Isles. Their name in the Seven Kingdoms is due to their large, white sails and figureheads that more often than not depict birds. They sail well and are faster than galleys, but are helpless when becalmed.
Swan ships are believed to have been developed by Xanda Qo, and most swan ships are built on the isle of Koj. Each ship is protected by archers wielding goldenheart bows, so they are rarely attacked by slavers.
A Game of Thrones
Catelyn Stark sees a swan ship when the Storm Dancer arrives at King's Landing.
A Feast for Crows
There are swan ships in the Ragman's Harbor when Arya Stark arrives at Braavos aboard the Titan's Daughter.
Samwell Tarly sails aboard the Cinnamon Wind, a swan ship captained by Quhuru Mo, when he travels from Braavos to Oldtown. Archmaester Marwyn intends to take the same ship to Meereen to meet Daenerys Targaryen.
A Dance with Dragons
Quentyn Martell notices swan ships at Volantis.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 35, Samwell IV.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, Beyond the Free Cities: The Summer Isles.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 18, Catelyn IV.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 6, Arya I.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 45, Samwell V.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 6, The Merchant's Man.