The sweetwater river is a large aqueduct found in Braavos.
The sweetwater river enters Braavos on the south side of the city, crossing the Long Canal and Green Canal, before ending at the Moon Pool in the north of the city.
Made of grey stone and brick, the aqueduct looks like a roadway supported by three tiers of arches traveling from the south. Looming above the canals and houses, it brings fresh water from the mainland of Essos across the mudflats and the briny shallows. Rich men pipe it directly into their homes, while commoners fill buckets at public fountains.
Because the water from the lagoon in which Braavos is located is brackish and briny, the canal water is not drinkable without first boiling it. Thus, the Braavosi built the sweetwater river to supply themselves with clean water.
A Feast for Crows
Samwell Tarly sends Gilly to get water from one of the public fountains.
Arya Stark, disguised as Cat of the Canals, sometimes follows the sweetwater river to the Moon Pool while selling seafood.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 26, Samwell III.
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire, Braavos.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 34, Cat Of The Canals.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Free Cities: Braavos.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 6, Arya I.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 22, Arya II.